Toxic pollutants.

kelly1

I need help! Lots of help so I am going to post a quite a few questions. I just can't seem to figure out word problems so any help would be most appreciated!! :D

The annual cost in dollars for removing p% of the toxic chemicals from a town's water supply is given by the formula C(p)=500000/100-p.

A. Estimate the cost for removing 90% and 95% of the toxic chemicals.

B. Use the formula to determine the cost for removing 99.5% of toxic chemicals.

C. What happens to the cost as the percentage of pollutants removed approaches 100%?

all this is just plug and chug values in a formula ... grab your calculator.

C(p) = 500000/(100-p)

a. plug in 90 for p, calculate the cost.
plug in 95 for p, calculate the cost.

b. plug in 99.5 and calculate the cost.

c. Now think ... as p gets closer and close to 100, what is happening to the cost?
Look at your cost calculations in part a and b to see what is happening.

Thanks!

Oh thanks. I was trying to make it a lot more difficult than it was. I was trying to convert to percentages and use the p in C(p) to calculate everything. It makes sense that the cost increases, but I was making it way too hard. Thanks for your help!!

Re: Thanks!

kelly1 said:
Oh thanks. I was trying to make it a lot more difficult than it was. I was trying to convert to percentages and use the p in C(p) to calculate everything. It makes sense that the cost increases, but I was making it way too hard. Thanks for your help!!

Who are you? Do you go to class? Is this an exam? Why are you flooding the board?