Transverse Speed, given harmonic wave y = (3cm) sin(2x - 5t)

warwick

5. The equation of a harmonic wave on a string is given by y=(3cm)sin(2x-5t) where x is in cm and t in seconds. Find the displacement of the string when the transverse speed first equals one-half of the maximum transverse speed. x = 1.0472

Transverse speed = partial of y with respect to t = Yt = -.15 cos(2x-5t)

Maximum transverse speed magnitude occurs when cosine equals +/-1 = .15 m/s

One-half of maximum transverse speed is .075 m/s

.075 m/s = Yt = -.15 cos(2x-5t)

-.5 = (2x-5t)

If I set t = 0, I get x = 1.0472

Re: Transverse Speed.

position in cm, time in sec
\(\displaystyle y = 3\sin(2x-5t)\)

transverse velocity in cm/sec
\(\displaystyle \frac{\partial y}{\partial t} = v_y = -15\cos(2x-5t)\)

it's important to understand that as the wave passes through the string, any point on the string is displaced only in the y-direction ... displacement of the string in the x-direction is always 0. so, when the question asks for the displacement of the string, it's asking for \(\displaystyle \Delta y\) of that point. And, although not stated as such in your problem statement, I suspect that the question wants the displacement of the point on the string from its equilibrium position because it did not state specifically between any two times or any two speeds.

for any point on the string (that is, any x-value), that point has maximum speed when that point is at equilibrium. its speed is 0 when the same point is at maximum displacement (3 cm in this case) from equilibrium. so, as the point on the string travels from equilibrium to its maximum displacement the point on the string slows down ... and as it travels from maximum displacement back to equilibrium, it speeds up in the opposite direction.

now, the point on the string defined by its x-value, x = 1.0472 ... was that a given value for the problem, or did you come up with it?
reason I ask is this ... at x = 1.0472 and t = 0, the transverse velocity of the string is 7.5 cm/sec, which makes me think you figured that out yourself.

that's fine, but now calculate the position of the point x = 1.0472 at t = 0 ...

\(\displaystyle y = 3\sin(2.0944 - 0) \approx 2.6 \, cm\)

and that value is the displacement of that point on the string from equilibrium.

skeeter said:
position in cm, time in sec
\(\displaystyle y = 3\sin(2x-5t)\)

transverse velocity in cm/sec
\(\displaystyle \frac{\partial y}{\partial t} = v_y = -15\cos(2x-5t)\)

it's important to understand that as the wave passes through the string, any point on the string is displaced only in the y-direction ... displacement of the string in the x-direction is always 0. so, when the question asks for the displacement of the string, it's asking for \(\displaystyle \Delta y\) of that point. And, although not stated as such in your problem statement, I suspect that the question wants the displacement of the point on the string from its equilibrium position because it did not state specifically between any two times or any two speeds.

for any point on the string (that is, any x-value), that point has maximum speed when that point is at equilibrium. its speed is 0 when the same point is at maximum displacement (3 cm in this case) from equilibrium. so, as the point on the string travels from equilibrium to its maximum displacement the point on the string slows down ... and as it travels from maximum displacement back to equilibrium, it speeds up in the opposite direction.

now, the point on the string defined by its x-value, x = 1.0472 ... was that a given value for the problem, or did you come up with it?
reason I ask is this ... at x = 1.0472 and t = 0, the transverse velocity of the string is 7.5 cm/sec, which makes me think you figured that out yourself.

that's fine, but now calculate the position of the point x = 1.0472 at t = 0 ...

\(\displaystyle y = 3\sin(2.0944 - 0) \approx 2.6 \, cm\)

and that value is the displacement of that point on the string from equilibrium.

Yeah. I came up with the point x = 1.0472 at t = 0. I wasn't exactly sure how to proceed when I set the velocity equation equal to the one-half of the maximum transverse speed, so I didn't know if I could pick an arbitrary value for t, t = 0. Also, of course, I didn't finish the problem and find the displacement of the particle. So, did I do this problem correctly? I'm a little rusty on my calculus. I finished cal 3 in the spring, and now I'm taking linear algebra.

you took the partial derivative of y w/r to t correctly ... that's about it.

skeeter said:
you took the partial derivative of y w/r to t correctly ... that's about it.

I know I found the maximum transverse speed correctly.

vmax = wA = 5/s * 3 cm = 15 cm/s

y = A sin (kx - wt)

dy/dt = -5 * 3 cos(kx - wt) = -15 cos(2x - 5t)

7.5 cm/s = -15 cos(2x - 5t)

2.0944 = cos(2x - 5t)

if x = 0, 2.0944 = -5t

t = -.4188

y = 3 sin(0 - 5(-.4188)) = 2.59 cm

Same answer. What am I doing wrongly?

warwick said:
5. The equation of a harmonic wave on a string is given by y=(3cm)sin(2x-5t) where x is in cm and t in seconds. Find the
displacement of the string when the transverse speed first equals one-half of the maximum transverse speed. x = 1.0472

-.5 = (2x-5t)

I did not say what you did was wrong, and yes, you did find out the correct max velocity from the velocity function ... however, did you answer the displacement question (which was the whole point of the exercise) in your original post?

skeeter said:
warwick said:
5. The equation of a harmonic wave on a string is given by y=(3cm)sin(2x-5t) where x is in cm and t in seconds. Find the
displacement of the string when the transverse speed first equals one-half of the maximum transverse speed. x = 1.0472

-.5 = (2x-5t)

I did not say what you did was wrong, and yes, you did find out the correct max velocity from the velocity function ... however, did you answer the displacement question (which was the whole point of the exercise) in your original post?

No. I actually left that out. I believe I did now, though. The harmonic wave equation gives the displacement. I got 2.59 cm as worked out in my previous post.