Trapezoid inside a triangle

Loki123

Please read this carefully because it explains the problem more than the picture. You have a triangle, you know the values of all three sides (a, b, c, d). A parallel line to the longest line is drawn in the triangle to create a trapezoid. Calculate the area of that trapezoid if you know the sum of all trapezoid side.
*There are numbers involved here but I cannot remember them correctly so all I am asking for is the method to do this. Thank you.

1641921355935.png

Trying to read this carefully, but feeling confused:
the values of all three sides (a, b, c, d).
Reminds me of an old joke that people can be divided into three groups -- those who can count and those who cannot :)

More seriously: you have only one degree of freedom here: the relative height of the parallel line. Using that as a variable you would get a relatively simple equation.

Last edited:
Trying to read this carefully, but feeling confused:

Reminds me of an old joke that people can be divided into three groups -- those who can count and those who cannot :)

More seriously: you can only one degree of freedom here: the relative height of the parallel line. Using that as a variable you would get a relatively simple equation.
Hahahaha, yeah i messed up, you don't know d. That is the height of the trapezoid too, how do I get that?

Hahahaha, yeah i messed up, you don't know d. That is the height of the trapezoid too, how do I get that?
I don't think you need the absolute height, but only the relative one. For example, if you know that your line is at 1/3 of the height can you express [imath]f,d,e[/imath] through [imath]a,b,c[/imath]?

I don't think you need the absolute height, but only the relative one. For example, if you know that your line is at 1/3 of the height can you express [imath]f,d,e[/imath] through [imath]a,b,c[/imath]?
I think so

Can we assume that [imath]a,~b,~\&~c[/imath] are the lengths of the sides of the triangle?
Then [imath]a,~e,~d,~\&~f[/imath] are the lengths of the sides of the trapezoid?
As Mr. Khan has noted there are two similar triangles. An altitude from the apex to the base [imath]a[/imath]
is divided by [imath]d[/imath] unto two similar parts (the whole & the smaller part).
The area of the trapezoid is half the sum of [imath]a~\&~d[/imath] times the height of the trapezoid.

[imath][/imath][imath][/imath][imath][/imath]