Triangles

Ok, so what I did was try to solve it by attempting to make a right-angled triangle inside the equilateral triangle so that I can apply the Pythagoras theorem. Am I doing it right or do we solve it using another method? IMG_7978.jpg

Ok, so what I did was try to solve it by attempting to make a right-angled triangle inside the equilateral triangle so that I can apply the Pythagoras theorem. Am I doing it right or do we solve it using another method? View attachment 21721
No, you can't assume the side of the equilateral triangle is z! No one said that segments x, y, and z form a right triangle themselves.

Did you try doing what I suggested? Rotate triangle APB by 60 degrees:

1600433142646.png

Try looking for a right triangle in my version of the figure, and use that to solve for the red lines (which I called s). You'll probably need to draw at least one more auxiliary line.

1600458140267.png

Or else just try something else and show your work so we can guide you in the right direction. I'm sure mine isn't the only way to solve the problem.

But in any case, the goal is for you to do as much of the thinking as you can, in order to learn how to solve problems for yourself. This is not a small problem, so it will take some hard thinking to find the answer. Then you can take pleasure in your accomplishment!