Tricky Hyperbola problem. Could use some help!

Xonian

Hey, guys. I was doing my homework a few nights ago and ran into a tough problem. I still have not been able to figure it out. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks a lot!

The problem:

An explosion is heard by two people who are 1000 meters apart. One person heard the explosion 1.5 seconds after the other. The speed of sound in air (at 20 degrees Celsius) is 340 meters per second. Write an equation for the possible locations of the explosion, relative to the two people.

Hey, guys. I was doing my homework a few nights ago and ran into a tough problem. I still have not been able to figure it out. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks a lot!

The problem:

An explosion is heard by two people who are 1000 meters apart. One person heard the explosion 1.5 seconds after the other. The speed of sound in air (at 20 degrees Celsius) is 340 meters per second. Write an equation for the possible locations of the explosion, relative to the two people.

Alright, I think I actually just solved it. I got (x^2)/65025 - Y=(y^2)/184975=1. If someone could confirm, that'd be great!

Alright, I think I actually just solved it. I got (x^2)/65025 - Y=(y^2)/184975=1. If someone could confirm, that'd be great!

How did you get that!

You have two "=" in your equation/s.

(x^2)/65025 - (y^2)/184975 = 1

Hello Xonian:

Please define your variable symbols x and y. Specifically, how does the point (x,y) relate to the locations of the people?

Also, take a moment to read the forum guidelines, starting with this summary page.

Thank you! :cool:

Last edited: