Trig Functions question

Anthonyk2013

Did this question last night in class, Not sure how we changed the 2 circled from a positive 2 to a negative 2. Any ideas

Attachments

• matchs q 001.jpg
    matchs q 001.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 4
Did this question last night in class, Not sure how we changed the 2 circled from a positive 2 to a negative 2. Any ideas

Not sure why you even have that 3rd step. From the second step, the derivative produces the last step.

Not sure why you even have that 3rd step. From the second step, the derivative produces the last step.
Not the question I asked sr, that's the way it was written up on the black board. I don't understand how the sign changes?

Not the question I asked sr, that's the way it was written up on the black board. I don't understand how the sign changes?

Whoever wrote it on the board was on something. The only thing I can guess is that since the derivative of cos is -sin, they took the minus from the -sin and used that to change the sign of the 2/3 fraction. Just not sure why they wrote it like that without the trig function accompanying it.

Whoever wrote it on the board was on something. The only thing I can guess is that since the derivative of cos is -sin, they took the minus from the -sin and used that to change the sign of the 2/3 fraction. Just not sure why they wrote it like that without the trig function accompanying it.

Thanks I understand what your saying, notes seem to be missing some steps.

Like Sir Michael, I am confused about the third line. It does not follow from the second line, and the fourth line does not follow from the third line. Moreover, using x to stand for multiplication in a problem involving x as a variable is something you are taught not to do in seventh or eighth grade. Nevertheless, I think what is going on is this.

\(\displaystyle y = \dfrac{2cos(10x)}{3} - \dfrac{2}{5} * sin(2x) = \dfrac{2}{3} * cos(10x) - \dfrac{2}{5} * sin(2x).\)

\(\displaystyle Let\ p = 2x,\ q = sin(p),\ r = 5p,\ and\ s = cos(r).\)

\(\displaystyle So\ y = \left(\dfrac{2}{3} * s\right) - \left(\dfrac{2}{5} * q\right) \implies \dfrac{dy}{dx} = \left(\dfrac{2}{3} * \dfrac{ds}{dx}\right) - \left(\dfrac{2}{5} * \dfrac{dq}{dx}\right).\)

\(\displaystyle s = cos(r) \implies \dfrac{ds}{dr} = - sin(r).\) NOTICE the minus sign on the derivative.

\(\displaystyle r = 5p \implies \dfrac{dr}{dp} = 5.\)

\(\displaystyle p = 2x \implies \dfrac{dp}{dx} = 2.\)

\(\displaystyle So\ \left(\dfrac{2}{3} * \dfrac{ds}{dx}\right) = \left(\dfrac{2}{3} * \dfrac{ds}{dr} * \dfrac{dr}{dp} * \dfrac{dp}{dx}\right) = \left(\dfrac{2}{3} * \{- sin(r)\} * 5 * 2\right) = \dfrac{20}{3} * \{- sin(5p)\} = \dfrac{20}{3} * \{- sin(10x)\} = \dfrac{-20}{3} * sin(10x).\)

\(\displaystyle Similarly,\ - \left(\dfrac{2}{5} * \dfrac{dq}{dx}\right) = \dfrac{-2}{5} * \dfrac{dq}{dp} * \dfrac{dp}{dx} = \dfrac{-2}{5} * cos(p) * 2 = \dfrac{-4}{5} * cos(2x).\)

\(\displaystyle THUS,\ \dfrac{dy}{dx} = \dfrac{-20sin(10x)}{3} + \dfrac{-4cos(2x)}{5}.\)

Like Sir Michael, I am confused about the third line. It does not follow from the second line, and the fourth line does not follow from the third line. Moreover, using x to stand for multiplication in a problem involving x as a variable is something you are taught not to do in seventh or eighth grade. Nevertheless, I think what is going on is this.

\(\displaystyle y = \dfrac{2cos(10x)}{3} - \dfrac{2}{5} * sin(2x) = \dfrac{2}{3} * cos(10x) - \dfrac{2}{5} * sin(2x).\)

\(\displaystyle Let\ p = 2x,\ q = sin(p),\ r = 5p,\ and\ s = cos(r).\)

\(\displaystyle So\ y = \left(\dfrac{2}{3} * s\right) - \left(\dfrac{2}{5} * q\right) \implies \dfrac{dy}{dx} = \left(\dfrac{2}{3} * \dfrac{ds}{dx}\right) - \left(\dfrac{2}{5} * \dfrac{dq}{dx}\right).\)

\(\displaystyle s = cos(r) \implies \dfrac{ds}{dr} = - sin(r).\) NOTICE the minus sign on the derivative.

\(\displaystyle r = 5p \implies \dfrac{dr}{dp} = 5.\)

\(\displaystyle p = 2x \implies \dfrac{dp}{dx} = 2.\)

\(\displaystyle So\ \left(\dfrac{2}{3} * \dfrac{ds}{dx}\right) = \left(\dfrac{2}{3} * \dfrac{ds}{dr} * \dfrac{dr}{dp} * \dfrac{dp}{dx}\right) = \left(\dfrac{2}{3} * \{- sin(r)\} * 5 * 2\right) = \dfrac{20}{3} * \{- sin(5p)\} = \dfrac{20}{3} * \{- sin(10x)\} = \dfrac{-20}{3} * sin(10x).\)

\(\displaystyle Similarly,\ - \left(\dfrac{2}{5} * \dfrac{dq}{dx}\right) = \dfrac{-2}{5} * \dfrac{dq}{dp} * \dfrac{dp}{dx} = \dfrac{-2}{5} * cos(p) * 2 = \dfrac{-4}{5} * cos(2x).\)

\(\displaystyle THUS,\ \dfrac{dy}{dx} = \dfrac{-20sin(10x)}{3} + \dfrac{-4cos(2x)}{5}.\)
Thanks I appreciate your help. I have been away from the books for a good few years.