Trig Help-Trigonometric Form of Complex Numbers & De Moivre's Theorem

Ajay Dhanraj

I'm having trouble properly calculating problems such as 'Find indicated power, write in standard form, (1-isqrt3)^7', and 'find all indicated roots. write in trig form, Cube roots of 27i'. I also find myself running into several problems concerning my calculator. When I'm trying to plug in cos(n degrees) with my TI-30XS it sometimes doesn't come up as a fraction but as a decimal. Also, I don't understand how to convert degrees into fractions (ex. 45 degrees---> pi/6.

Find indicated power, write in standard form, (1-isqrt3)^7', and 'find all indicated roots. write in trig form, Cube roots of 27i'.
\(1-i\sqrt3=2\exp\left(\dfrac{-\pi i}{3}\right)\) raise to the seventh power.
\(27i=\ 27\exp\left(\dfrac{\pi i}{2}\right)\) find the principle root then two more roots.

\(1-i\sqrt3=2\exp\left(\dfrac{-\pi i}{3}\right)\) raise to the seventh power.
\(27i=\ 27\exp\left(\dfrac{\pi i}{2}\right)\) find the principle root then two more roots.
Thank you but could you help me by explaining it to me? I'm having trouble learning the concept.

I also find myself running into several problems concerning my calculator. When I'm trying to plug in cos(n degrees) with my TI-30XS it sometimes doesn't come up as a fraction but as a decimal. Also, I don't understand how to convert degrees into fractions (ex. 45 degrees---> pi/6.
Are you saying that you don't know how to convert degrees to radians? Or do you mean that you can't express the result as a fraction of pi? In the latter case, just multiply by pi/180, and simplify (as if pi were a variable) rather than using the value of pi.

And do you know how to set your calculator to radian mode?

And why would you expect a cosine to be a fraction?

Please tell us more about your thinking.

In my math it told me when I have x(cos y+i sin y) to plug in cos y into my calculator to degree mode, so cos(210) would give me -sqrt3/2 but cos(62) would give me 0.469471563 which isn't a fraction, I'm just asking if I'm doing anything wrong in that sense. And when I put it into radian mode, no fractions came up.

In my math it told me when I have x(cos y+i sin y) to plug in cos y into my calculator to degree mode, so cos(210) would give me -sqrt3/2 but cos(62) would give me 0.469471563 which isn't a fraction, I'm just asking if I'm doing anything wrong in that sense. And when I put it into radian mode, no fractions came up.

When you say "fraction", you mean that your calculator, when possible, gives an exact form, namely a radical expression. Most trig function results can't be written in that form, so you should not expect it.

This is one of the negative side effects of calculators that do too much for you. Usually when doing trig you want a decimal form; when a problem asks for an exact form, they want you to use you own mind rather than a calculator (by memorizing special values). I would set the calculator to just give decimal answers.

I'm having trouble properly calculating problems such as 'Find indicated power, write in standard form, (1-isqrt3)^7', and 'find all indicated roots. write in trig form, Cube roots of 27i'.
It will be very helpful if you can show us your attempt, so we can see what you are being taught, and what part of it you don't understand.

In particular, if you don't even know how to start, we'd like to see what you were taught (a rule, or an example, perhaps in the form of an image from your book or notes), so we can be sure what notation and method you are learning. If we demonstrate something different, it will only add to your confusion. But very likely, there is some prerequisite that you don't solidly understand, so seeing any work at all can give us a sense of whether we need to back up and help you with that.

Actually from this problem the answer was a radical expression surprisingly. I do Colosky's Math Academy 7.5. I will try to send more information later

Actually from this problem the answer was a radical expression surprisingly. I do Colosky's Math Academy 7.5. I will try to send more information later
Actually it's not surprising at all, because the quantity you are raising to a power involves radicals, and cube root you are taking is for a perfect cube. So this is one of those special cases.

But does the problem require exact answers? Normally such a problem will not, and a decimal would be appropriate for "standard form".