trig

swimmer3

I am having a difficult time solving trig inequalities. cos45 degrees is greater than cos35 degrees. True or false. i know cos 35 is larger but I don't know how to solve this kind of problem?

More than one option.
(1) Get out your calculator and enter each and compare results.
(2) Draw a sketch of each on the unit circle. Compare the lengths of the corresponding abscissas.
(3) Just do some thinking. You know the value of cos 0°. You should know the value of cos 45°. Determine how the value of the cosine function changes as it goes from 0° to 45°. Realize that cos 35° is trapped between.

Possibly others will give you other suggestions.

If you've learned about right-triangle trigonometry, then a quick sketch and some reasoning about ratios is sufficient.

Fix the base of both triangles at 1 unit.

Do you see how the terminal side of the angle (i.e., the hypotenuse) gets longer as the angle measure increases?

The hypotenuse L is Longer, and the hypotenuse S is Shorter, but the adjacent side is the same for both.

Cosine is the ratio: Adjacent/Hypotenuse.

The ratio 1/S is larger than the ratio 1/L because a fraction with a fixed numerator GROWS as the denominator gets smaller.

However, I like Loren's unit-circle approach better because I can quickly see in my mind that the x-coordinate (i.e., the cosine) gets smaller as the angle increases in Quadrant I.

This is analagous to thinking about the shape of the graph of y = cos(x); as the angle (which is x) goes from 0 to Pi/2, the angle's cosine (which is y) goes from 1 to 0. 8-)

DOUBLE-CLICK IMAGE TO EXPAND

[attachment=0:a45hpa9h]TRIG.jpg[/attachment:a45hpa9h]

Attachments

• TRIG.jpg
    TRIG.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 89