Trigo Area Bounded.

Jacob

Hi, I need help with 2 things. (I found the graph for this solution by using graphing calculator)

1. May I know how I can find the x-intercept = 5π/6? I found π/6 by letting sinx=0.5 and solve for x but Idk how I can find 5π/6.
2. Is my integral form correct to find the area of A?

My goal is to find the Area A+B+C.
1617630631945.png

Hi, I need help with 2 things. (I found the graph for this solution by using graphing calculator)

1. May I know how I can find the x-intercept = 5π/6? I found π/6 by letting sinx=0.5 and solve for x but Idk how I can find 5π/6.
2. Is my integral form correct to find the area of A?

My goal is to find the Area A+B+C.
View attachment 26196
The intersections (not really an x-intercept) are solutions of \(\sin(x)=\frac {1}{2}\). You know that one solution is \(\frac {\pi}{6}\), which is one of the special angles.

You should know that the two distinct solutions of such an equation are supplements of one another; this can be easily seen from the unit-circle representation of the sine, or from the symmetry of its graph about the line \(x = \pi\). And the supplement of \(\frac {\pi}{6}\) is \(\pi-\frac {\pi}{6}=\frac {5\pi}{6}\).

Your integrand should be the difference between the two functions, namely \(0.5 - \sin(x)\). Do you see why? It certainly can't be their product, as you wrote.

Your integrand should be the difference between the two functions, namely \(0.5 - \sin(x)\). Do you see why? It certainly can't be their product, as you wrote.
Is it because then when I integrate I will be getting positive value?

or Upper - Lower is the reason why 0.5 -sin (x)

Last edited:
Is it because then when I integrate I will be getting positive value?

or Upper - Lower is the reason why 0.5 -sin (x)
Yes, both are true.

Ultimately, though, the reason is that to find an area, you integrate the element of area, which is height (upper minus lower in this case) time the width (dx in this case).

Therefore this is the solution for A area. Correct me if I'm wrong.

1617635662551.png

you have +cos(0) yet you replaced that with 1. Why is that?

1.12782 - 1 is exactly 0.12782, so why do you but the approximate symbol. Maybe you approximated before you put your approximate symbol but again 1.12782-1 = .12782 exactly. If you did approximate before, then put the approximate symbol there.

you have +cos(0) yet you replaced that with 1. Why is that?

1.12782 - 1 is exactly 0.12782, so why do you but the approximate symbol. Maybe you approximated before you put your approximate symbol but again 1.12782-1 = .12782 exactly. If you did approximate before, then put the approximate symbol there.
Isn't Cos(0) = 1?

Yes, so why did you replace +cos(0) with -1? Maybe it should not have said +cos(0)?????
Oh because,
[0.5(π/6)+cos(π/6)] - [0.5(0)+cos(0)]
[1.27282] - [1] = 0.12782

This is how I get 0.12782

Can someone tell what am I doing wrong when finding the area B? I'm getting negative as my final answer

1617638243398.png

Can someone tell what am I doing wrong when finding the area B? I'm getting negative as my final answer

View attachment 26198
The reason you broke the area into three parts was that which curve is on top changes from one to the next.

Always think! In this region, which is the top??? So what should the integrand be?