Trigonometry / Pythagoras' Theorem Help

Student 26607

Hi, I got some homework and I don't understand them or know what to do. I think that they're either Trigonometry or Pythagoras' Theorem based, it would be much appreciated if someone could help me please. :)

Here are the questions:

Two tangents are drawn from P to meet a circle at points D and F. If the circle has a circumference of 18.5 metres and the angle between the tangents is 38º, find:
a) The length of PF
b) The distance from P to the centre of the circle.

It would really help if you could also show how you got it (it would help my understand as well as pass ;) ).

Thanks for reading this, I hope someone will be able to help me with my dillema.

- Student 26607

Two tangents are drawn from P to meet a circle at points D and F. If the circle has a circumference of 18.5 metres and the angle between the tangents is 38º, find:
a) The length of PF
b) The distance from P to the centre of the circle.

Draw yourself a picture: a circle with the two tangent lines. From the tangent points, draw radii to the center of the circle, O. Draw a line from the center of the circle, O, to point P. Facts: the tangent lines and the radii are perpendicular to each other, i.e., angle OFP is 90 degrees; the angle between the tangents is given as 38 degrees; line OP will bisect this angle; the circumference is 18.5; you can calculate the radius. You now have enough information about triangle OFP to solve for all angles and sides using basic trigonometry.