Trigonometry Summer Assignment Help

Isoucha

I've been looking at this question for days and days but couldn't find an answer to it. Please help me! Thanks!

"As you eat your apple, it is clear that the volume of the apple continues to decrease, but the surface area does not continue to increase. However, there must be some point in your eating that the surface area starts to decrease because eventually the apple gets smaller and smaller until only the core is left. Your job is to describe two methods of determining when the apple’s surface peaks and it must start to decrease."

I've been looking at this question for days and days but couldn't find an answer to it.
The answer isn't going to pop out from behind the page. (Kidding!) To find the answer, we'll need to DO something.

You've posted this to the "trigonometry" category, so you must be expecting to use trig for the solution. Why? Have you done anything similar? How do you think this might be related to sine waves, etc?

What thinking have you done? For instance, the apple starts as (almost, sort of, but good enough for modelling) a sphere. It ends (almost, sort of, but good enough for modelling) as a cylinder of the same height. How would those surface areas compare? Does thinking about these shapes give you any ideas?

Please write back. Thanks! ;)