Trouble understanding the algebraic manipulation here

colerelm

So I'm working with Differential equations but my question is more about the steps taken(I have the solution in front of me) to get to the answer. Here's a screenshot of the part of the problem I don't understand:

​< link to objectionable page removed >

After integrating the right side, how do they get "ln(C)" instead of just " + C"? After that, how do they take C and multiply it to the right side instead of just adding C?

Last edited by a moderator:
An arbitrary constant is an arbitrary constant is an arbitrary constant! It doesn't matter what you call it. Yes, they could have written "\(\displaystyle \int 200kdt= 200kt+ C\)". But the left side is a logarithm: \(\displaystyle ln\left(\frac{P}{200- P}\right)\) so to solve for P you need to take the exponential: \(\displaystyle e^{ln\left(\frac{P}{200- P}\right)}= e^{200kt+ C}\). That gives, of course, \(\displaystyle \frac{P}{200- P}= e^{200kt+ C}= e^{200kt}e^C= C' e^{200kt}\) where I have defined \(\displaystyle C'= e^C\). Since C is an arbitrary constant C' is also (well, strictly speaking e to any power is positive but then we should have written absolute values on the left so the result is the same). The author was trying to avoid using both C and C' by calling the constant of integration ln(C) to begin with.