Trying to make an equation

jburridge

Im currently building something that has skills/combat etc. I need to figure out this equation so multiple things can work together.

None of these numbers can be changed, And nothing can be added/changed after the equal sign.
Both of these equations have to be true, using the same equation.
55 * 100 = 110
55 * 200 = 165

Example
55 * (100/50) = 110
55 * (200/50) = 165
The first one is correct, but the second one is wrong.
Feel free to ask me any questions, and I appreciate any help in advanced :D

Im currently building something that has skills/combat etc. I need to figure out this equation so multiple things can work together.

None of these numbers can be changed, And nothing can be added/changed after the equal sign.
Both of these equations have to be true, using the same equation.
55 * 100 = 110
55 * 200 = 165

Example
55 * (100/50) = 110
55 * (200/50) = 165
The first one is correct, but the second one is wrong.
Feel free to ask me any questions, and I appreciate any help in advanced :D
Hint:

55 * 3 = 165

Right, that’s the problem i’m running into.
Because 55*3 does not equal 110 in the first equation.

Yeah I knew I didn't explain this very well, it's very hard to explain lol. But that wouldn't work because

55 * (100/50 -1) = 110 (this one doesn't equal 110)
55 * (200/50 -1) = 165
It may be hard to explain, but it's even harder to help you if we don't know what the problem is. How about stating your problem in terms of your app/game?

It may be hard to explain, but it's even harder to help you if we don't know what the problem is. How about stating your problem in terms of your app/game?
I feel as if that just makes it even more confusing which is why I attempted to simplify, But essentially

I'm applying damage to a skill. 55 is the skills damage, 100 is the extra damage i'm adding to it, as a percent, and 110 is how much damage it should do after.

In this example, I'm giving the skill 100% more damage, so it's doing 110 total damage.
55 * 100 = 110

The problem is that in other skills, it does not accept percentage, So if I give it 100 more damage it's just doing this
55 * 100 = 5500

So in the examples above, my attempt is to make an equation that will work for all skills no matter what extra damage i give it. Essentially the number I punch in should be converted to a percent if that makes sense. It also must of course already assume that you have 100% by default.

TLDR
This is why I just simplified it down to me needing two equations, that are exactly the same equation but they have to equal the correct number. I don't really think its a context issue, its just difficult for me to explain that I'm trying to make one equation......but work for both?

Ill add an additional example

55 * ((100 + 100)/50) / 2 = 110
55 * ((200 + 100)/50) / 2 = 165
55 * ((300 + 100)/50) / 2 = 220

OH MY GOD I JUST FIGURED IT OUT. thank you guys :)

Also
55(100/100+1)=110
55(200/100+1)=165

Idk why its all coming to me now, I guess I just needed sleep.

I feel as if that just makes it even more confusing which is why I attempted to simplify, But essentially

I'm applying damage to a skill. 55 is the skills damage, 100 is the extra damage i'm adding to it, as a percent, and 110 is how much damage it should do after.

In this example, I'm giving the skill 100% more damage, so it's doing 110 total damage.
55 * 100 = 110

The problem is that in other skills, it does not accept percentage, So if I give it 100 more damage it's just doing this
55 * 100 = 5500

So in the examples above, my attempt is to make an equation that will work for all skills no matter what extra damage i give it. Essentially the number I punch in should be converted to a percent if that makes sense. It also must of course already assume that you have 100% by default.

TLDR
This is why I just simplified it down to me needing two equations, that are exactly the same equation but they have to equal the correct number. I don't really think its a context issue, its just difficult for me to explain that I'm trying to make one equation......but work for both?

Ill add an additional example

55 * ((100 + 100)/50) / 2 = 110
55 * ((200 + 100)/50) / 2 = 165
55 * ((300 + 100)/50) / 2 = 220

OH MY GOD I JUST FIGURED IT OUT. thank you guys :)
It's great that you worked it out. But if you want to communicate your problem to someone else in the future, you'll need to do a much better job. You've thrown together a bunch of numbers and words, but the result is completely incomprehensible.

It's great that you worked it out. But if you want to communicate your problem to someone else in the future, you'll need to do a much better job. You've thrown together a bunch of numbers and words, but the result is completely incomprehensible.
Yeah I'm aware of that. I stated that multiple times that I was unsure how to explain it, Appreciate the positive feedback though.