two smooth spheres of masses 2kg, 4kg collide obliquely; 2 kg mass brought to rest

markosheehan

two smooth spheres of masses 2kg and 4kg collide obliquely . the 2 kg mass is brought to rest. the coefficient of restitution is 1/2
prove before the impact the spheres were moving in perpendicular directions to each other and find their velocities before and after the collision.

using conservation of momentum. 4x+2y=4p+2(0) where x and y are velocities before impact. p is velocity after impact of 4kg

the velocity in the j direction does not change as its along the i axis

newtons experimental law p-0/x-y =-1/2 dont know what to do next

Last edited:
Two smooth spheres of masses 2kg and 4kg collide obliquely. The 2 kg mass is brought to rest. The coefficient of restitution is 1/2. Prove before the impact the spheres were moving in perpendicular directions to each other and find their velocities before and after the collision.

using conservation of momentum. 4x+2y=4p+2(0) where x and y are velocities before impact. p is velocity after impact of 4kg

the velocity in the j direction does not change as its along the i axis

newtons experimental law p-0/x-y =-1/2 dont know what to do next
Where are you accounting for the angle (for which you need to solve) of the collision? What are you meaning by the "j direction" and the "i axis"? Thank you! ;)

its like the x and y direction i=x direction y=j these are standard for vectors. and i dont think i need to take into account the angle as the i component doesnt change.