Two variables x and y have a strong linear relationship

Creaker

I had an practice exam with the question below, I choose A however the answers say C, how is this the case?

Question:
If two variables x and y have a very strong linear relationship, then
a) There is evidence that x causes a change in y
b) There is evidence that y causes a change in x
c) There might not be a casual relationship between x and y

Last edited:
I had an practice exam with the question below, I choose A however the answers say C, how is this the case?

Question:

"Correlation is not causation."

Question:
If x causes a change in y, then shouldn't y cause a change in x? If y causes a change in x, then shouldn't x cause a change in y? If yes, then how could you choose A over B or B over A?

If x causes a change in y, then shouldn't y cause a change in x? If y causes a change in x, then shouldn't x cause a change in y? If yes, then how could you choose A over B or B over A?
I would say all 3 answers are acceptable. Note that the answer says "There is evidence....", not that x causes y or vice versa.

I would say all 3 answers are acceptable. Note that the answer says "There is evidence....", not that x causes y or vice versa.
There's a lot to quibble about here!

I'm not sure I'd say there is evidence (evidence of correlation is not evidence of causation, which requires more); but certainly there is a possibility that either causes the other.

I'm pretty sure the intent of the question is to emphasize the difference between causation and correlation, which is why they would call (c) correct; but they could elicit that in better ways.

I'd ask your instructor about this; likely the question is provided by the publisher, and the instructor may not be aware of what you are being taught here, which is, at the least, awkward. I would hope that a question like this would not appear on your actual exam.

At the least, your instructor should be able to clarify the concept for you.

Question:
I think (c) should read "causal" not "casual".