Two word problems

Sateesh

I need guidance on how to solve these problems please...

1) At a factory, cookies are being packed in packs of 5. The machine made an error and packed 1 extra cookie in every 6th pack. If 420 cookies were packed, what number pack is being packed?

2) At a factory, biscuits are being packed in packs of 4. The machine made an error and packed 1 extra biscuit in every 4th pack. What number pack is being packed if 360 biscuits have been packed so far?

I really don't know how to approach them... in the second one I divided 360 by 17 and got 21 and a remainder, multiplied that by the 4 biscuits and got 84, manually drawing it out I found it in the 85th pack...

Last edited:
I need guidance on how to solve these problems please...

1) At a factory, cookies are being packed in packs of 5. The machine made an error and packed 1 extra cookie in every 6th pack. If 420 cookies were packed, what number pack is being packed?

2) At a factory, biscuits are being packed in packs of 4. The machine made an error and packed 1 extra biscuit in every 4th pack. What number pack is being packed if 360 biscuits have been packed so far?

I really don't know how to approach them... in the second one I divided 360 by 17 and got 21 and a remainder, multiplied that by the 4 biscuits and got 84, manually drawing it out I found it in the 85th pack...
Looks like you do know how to do it.

#1) How many cookies are in the 1st 6 packs? And the 2nd 6 packs? And the 3rd? ...

This is how I would work them out (correct me if I'm wrong)
1. In every six packs there will be 30 cookies (5 per pack) plus one extra. So that's 31 cookies in every 6 packs. 31 goes into 420 13 times with 17 cookies leftover. 13*6 is 78 so 78 packs have been packed. The 17 remaining cookies will go into 3 packs with 2 leftover. Therefore 81 packs have been packed and the 82nd is in production.
2. It looks like you solved that one correctly. In every 4 packs, there will be 17 cookies. 360/17=21 r3. 21*4=84. Therefore 84 packs have been produced and the 85th is in production.
I think you already had an idea of how to do this - hopefully, this post affirms your answers :)

It can be looked like below
17 biscuits gives 4 pack
360 biscuits gives 4*360/17 = 84.7 That mean 84 complete packs and .7 it next running pack which is 85.
hope this helps.