[UNIVERSITY] Trigonometry Questions

EoghanRyan

Hi, I took an online quiz for my university's continuous assessment, based on the topic of trig. I got all of them right apart from these 2, which stomped me. I am allowed another attempt in 2 days, in which the questions asked will be different but of the same nature. I would really appreciate if anyone could help me figure out the answers and workings behinds these 2 questions, it will help me study them and prepare for my next attempt

If anyone could help with in depth explanations of how they got the answers that would be great!

The first one majorly stumped me, for the second one I used sine rule (the third angle being 178.2), but the answer I got is somehow wrong as can be seen :/

rPwpaLW.jpghbR97Yc.jpg

Last edited:
Hi, I took an online quiz for my university's continuous assessment, based on the topic of trig. I got all of them right apart from these 2, which stomped me. I am allowed another attempt in 2 days, in which the questions asked will be different but of the same nature. I would really appreciate if anyone could help me figure out the answers and workings behinds these 2 questions, it will help me study them and prepare for my next attempt
Here are <name removed> links to the 2 questions

​< link to objectionable page removed >

​< link to objectionable page removed >

If anyone could help with in depth explanations of how they got the answers that would be great!

The first one majorly stumped me, for the second one I used sine rule (the third angle being 178.2), but the answer I got is somehow wrong as can be seen :/

Most of us will not go into an unknown website...

Last edited by a moderator:
Most of us will not go into an unknown website...

[It] is a well known website, but if you like I can upload to another one? Maybe I can attach the files, one sec :)

EDIT: Yep, got the 2 files attached as pics now :)

Last edited by a moderator:
First problem: Call the far bank line b. Draw a line from the launch point to the other bank somewhat downstream, call that line c. Consider the triangle composed of that line to where it crosses line a, the line labeled a (assumed parallel to the near bank), and the line labeled d. You are given the (relative) lengths of side d (3.1) and the side a (9.3) which allows you to get the angle of line c. Using the point-slope [launch point, call it (0,0) and far bank directly across (0,298) and tangent of the angles) formula for the lines (line b and c), compute their intersection. That will be the landing point on the other side. Careful of the quadrant, i.e. sign, of the tangent.

Problem 2: There are 180 degrees (\(\displaystyle \pi\) radians) in a triangle. What is \(\displaystyle \pi\) - 1.8? The answer is not 178.2 degrees.