Urgent graph, differentation help :( !!!

maali5

Hello academics. Can you help this student?

Your colleague tells you that the operation of a smoothing capacitor depends on its charging and discharging characteristics and these are what you should investigate. They show the results of a simple experiment in which a capacitor was connected in series with a resistor and then charged up from a DC supply. The voltage across the capacitor was measured and displayed on an oscilloscope and then compared with figures derived by calculation.

2a This is the information about the circuit:
Capacitor = 100 nF
Resistor = 47 kΩ
Supply voltage = 5 V
Charging characteristic for a series capacitive circuit:

v=V(1-e-(t/T) ) where T=CR and is called the time constant.

• Investigate what the other terms in this expression mean.
  • Calculate the time constant for the circuit.
  • Use a spreadsheet to plot the charging curve over the range 0 to 20 ms (milliseconds).
  • Investigate the meaning of ‘time constant’ and from your graph estimate a value. Compare this with your calculated one.
  • Differentiate the charging equation and find the rate of change of voltage at 6 ms.
  • From your graph measure the gradient at 6 ms and compare this with the calculated value.

2b Now investigate the discharging characteristic of the circuit but with a 22 kΩ resistor fitted.

• Calculate and estimate the rate of change of voltage when t = T.

Insanity is doing the same thing you've always done and expecting different results

Please do not post assignments with no specific questions asked (of your own) or no work shown.

Tell us why you're stuck, so that we may determine where to begin helping you.

I deleted your duplicate post on the Calculus Board.

At this site, you only need to post once.

Last edited:
Yahoo? Never ever used that but if you

No problem with that. I will come back to you. I promise but how about this one .

Just show me the right direction and I will try to solve it please :)

work done =power x time

a)done

b)done

I have attached the sheet

I apologize to you for the inappropriate question about the post at Yahoo (question now deleted).

Not only is that post two years old, but, upon closer inspection, I realized that some of the information is different.

Excuse me, while I sit in the corner and wipe egg off my face. :oops: