Urgently in need of help with an algebra 1, functions problem

tatibarrera231

I have a few questions regarding functions, it's kinda urgent hope you can help me understand;

Consider N0->N0 as the set of naturals including 0; that is, N0=N∪{0}, and consider the function: N0→N0, defined by F(n)=n+(−1)^ n.
  1. Is F surjective?
  2. Is F injective?
  3. Consider the following S relation in N0×N0. ∀a,b∈N0,
    [aSb]⟺F(a)=F(b)
    Show that S is an equivalence relation on N0, and determine the equivalence class of a=0.
My biggest problem with this is that I'm not sure how to justify my answers in an analytic form.

Here ill leve my thoughts for know:
1.so for the first one, I think it is surjective cause it does have the same range and codomain, both being in the naturals including 0, but when you justify this analytically you have to clear x and that's where my main problem is cause I don't know how to(cause of the -1 elevated to n).
2.the same problem here I do think it's injective cause it only touches on one point of the graphic, but again analytically I'm not sure how to justify cause your spoused to do: f(a)=f(b)=> a=b, a+(−1)a=b+(−1)b, but again I'm not sure how to simplify it cause of the -1 elevated to n.
3.this one I completely don't know how to do
And correct me if I'm wrong, cause it's totally possible, and any help is greatly appreciated.

Hope you guys can help me.

#Functions #HelpMe! #Advice #Math #Urgent #Please

Write the function as
F(n)=n+1 when n even (inc. 0)
F(n)=n-1 when n odd
Now just look up and write down the exact definitions: of surjective, injective and equivalence relation
and apply them to this example. They should work out fairly easily.
(The key I think each time is to consider the case when 'm' is even and the case when 'm' is odd).

Last edited:
Consider N0->N0 as the set of naturals including 0; that is, N0=N∪{0}, and consider the function: N0→N0, defined by F(n)=n+(−1)^ n.
Is F surjective?
Is F injective?
Consider the following S relation in N0×N0. ∀a,b∈N0,
[aSb]⟺F(a)=F(b)
Show that S is an equivalence relation on N0, and determine the equivalence class of a=0.
This a pet peeve of mine: zero is a natural number, \(0\in\mathbb{N}\).
If \(F:\mathbb{N}\to\mathbb{N}\) by \(F(n)=n+(-1)^n\) is injective and surjective. But you need to prove each.
If \(F(a)=F(b)\) prove that \(a=b\); if \(c\in\mathbb{N}\) prove that some \(\exists t\in\mathbb{N}\) and \(F(t)=c\).
The relation \(\mathcal{S}\) is easy to show is reflexive, \(F(a)=F(a)~\&~\text{ symmetric }F(a)=F(b)\;\iff\;F(b)=F(a)\).
For transitive: if \(F(a)=F(b)~\&~F(b)=F(c)\) does it follow that \(F(a)=F(c)~?\)

This a pet peeve of mine: zero is a natural number, \(0\in\mathbb{N}\).

No, my pet peeve is anyone that claims that "zero is a natural number" when
the truth is that there is no consensus. Traditionally, it is not a natural number,
as those are also commonly referred to as "counting numbers," beginning with 1.

To be clear, the problem should just come out and state "non-negative integers."

Hi guys, wanted to say how greatful for all your help I am, I really am trully
greatful.
I think I finish it, but im not sure i'll leave it attached here for you guys to see, tell me what you think
Tarea en ingles.png

I'll ask you again to solve f(n) = 0!!

By the way, you are NOT asked (for 3) to show that a=a for all a in No. Rather, you are asked to show that aSa for all a in No. Same comment for the other parts.

I think I finish it, but im not sure i'll leave it attached here for you guys to see, tell me what you think

That all looks pretty good. Well done. I echo Jomo's comment relating to part 3. People are understandably uncomfortable arguing from something glaringly obvious, such as 'a=a'. We tend to lay it out a bit differently e.g. like this:

3). aSb ⇔ F(a)=F(b) ⇔ a=b
so: S is
Reflexive: ⇔ aSa ⇔ F(a)=F(a)
[MATH]\therefore [/MATH] S is reflexive
Symmetric: ⇔ aSb = bSa
aSb ⇔ F(a)=F(b) ⇔ F(b)=F(a) ⇔ bSa
[MATH]\therefore [/MATH] S is symmetric
Transitive: ⇔ aSb, bSc ⇒ aSc
aSb, bSc ⇔ F(a)=F(b), F(b)=F(c) ⇒ F(a)=F(c) ⇒ aSc
[MATH]\therefore [/MATH] S is transitive

I attach my own version which pretty much mirrors what you did.

Attachments

• biject.pdf
    411.4 KB · Views: 2