Use induction to prove that, if f(x) = xe^{ax}, then f^n(x) = (n a^{n-1} + a^n x) e^{ax}

Hello and welcome to FMH! :)

Let's look at the base case \(P_0\):

[MATH]f^{(0)}(x)=(0+x)e^{ax}=f(x)\quad\checkmark[/MATH]
The base case is true, and so we state \(P_n\)

[MATH]f^{(n)}(x)=\left(na^{n-1}+a^nx\right)e^{ax}[/MATH]
As our inductive step, we can differentiate both sides with respect to \(x\)...what do you get?

What have you tried? Did you find f' (x)? Does it match the formula? We can't help you unless you tell us where you are stuck. Please reply back.

I know that statement holds true for n=0, I didn't know I had to differentiate. Here's what I have after diff.11245
I know I have to sub k and then k+1 but I don't know what sequence have to equate to in order to show that left side is equal to the right side. Thank you.

Last edited:
What is f' (x), just to see what you know? Hint: there are no n's in it

Last edited:
When I take \(P_n\) as I stated it, and differentiate both sides, I get:

[MATH]f^{(n+1)}(x)=a^ne^{ax}+\left(na^{n-1}+a^nx\right)ae^{ax}[/MATH]
[MATH]f^{(n+1)}(x)=\left(a^n+\left(na^{n-1}+a^nx\right)a\right)e^{ax}[/MATH]
[MATH]f^{(n+1)}(x)=\left(a^n+na^{n}+a^{n+1}x\right)e^{ax}[/MATH]
[MATH]f^{(n+1)}(x)=\left((n+1)a^{(n+1)-1}+a^{n+1}x\right)e^{ax}[/MATH]
And so, we have derived \(P_{n+1}\) from \(P_n\), thereby completing the proof by induction. Does that make sense?

I understand it now, thank you very much

I found F'(x), but I didn't know that you can derive f^(n+1) from f(n) by diff.

Last edited:
KamCh wrote "I know that statement holds true for n=0, I didn't know I had to differentiate."

Then you seem to be completely misunderstanding the problem! \(\displaystyle f^{(n)}\) means the nth derivative of f. Notice the parentheses about n. \(\displaystyle f^n\) without the parentheses is the nth power, \(\displaystyle f^{(n)}\) is the nth derivative. The problem asks you to use induction to show that the nth derivative of \(\displaystyle f(x)= xe^{ax}\) is \(\displaystyle f^{(n)}= (nax^{n-1}+ a^nx)e^{ax}\).

Actually, what I wrote was incorrect- I miscopied. What you want to prove is that the nth derivative of \(\displaystyle f(x)= xe^{ax}\) is \(\displaystyle f^{(n)}(x)= (a^{n-1}+ a^nx)e^{ax}\).