Use the given number game to answer the following question.

In 17 the order of operations you are actually performing does not correspond to the written expression. Please fix one or the other.
Let me make sure I follow you.
You gave this instructions: you said pick a number and to follow the steps listed there
O, let me re-try
Pick a number = 5
x=5
Add 5 to the number.
Next, multiply 4.
Subtract 12.
Divide by 4.

I performed the operation as you can see there.

[math]y=(x+5)4−12/4 y=4x+20-12/4y=4x+20−12/4y=4x +8/4y=4x+8/4 y=x+2y=x+2[/math]
I got y=x+2
(the 4 divides the entire numerator)
what you mean is that there's a flaw in the workout of the expression?

It was here where I got lost. please, pintpoint the problem and I will fix it.

Let me make sure I follow you.
You gave this instructions: you said pick a number and to follow the steps listed there
O, let me re-try
Pick a number = 5
x=5
Add 5 to the number.
Next, multiply 4.
Subtract 12.
Divide by 4.

I performed the operation as you can see there.

[math]y=(x+5)4−12/4 y=4x+20-12/4y=4x+20−12/4y=4x +8/4y=4x+8/4 y=x+2y=x+2[/math]
I got y=x+2
(the 4 divides the entire numerator)
what you mean is that there's a flaw in the workout of the expression?
Pick a number was part of the checking process. First, you need something to check. Which is the expression y = ...
In #17 the expression is y=(x+5)4−12/4, which is incorrect.
y=(x+5)4 is the correct answer to my question (first 2 steps: add 5, multiply by 4). Now you can check it by picking a value for x and making sure that the steps and the expression produce the same result (they will).

Now, the complete expression:
y=(x+5)4−12/4
Do you understand why it's incorrect? Can you check it using the process I suggested and following rules of arithmetic EXACTLY?

You write (#17)

[math]y=4x+20-12/4[/math]
[math]y=4x +8/4 .................................... This is INCORRECT due to PEDMAS [/math]
Since there is no Parentheses (P) or exponientiation (E) involved here, so you have to do the division first. So the next operation would be the division:

[math]y=4x+20-3[/math]
[math]y=4x+17 [/math]

You write (#17)

[math]y=4x +8/4 .................................... This is INCORRECT due to PEDMAS [/math]
Since there is no Parentheses (P) or exponientiation (E) involved here, so you have to do the division first. So the next operation would be the division:

[math]y=4x+20-3[/math]
[math]y=4x+17 [/math]
Okay, I checked and saw that back at post 17 I got confused and divided by 4 all the numbers. Did not realize that the instructions asked me to divide by 4 the last number you get which was 12. That was what happened,
now that I have the value of y=4x+17, this ca not be simplified further, so what to do next, any hint?

Okay, I checked and saw that back at post 17 I got confused and divided by 4 all the numbers. Did not realize that the instructions asked me to divide by 4 the last number you get which was 12. That was what happened,
now that I have the value of y=4x+17, this ca not be simplified further, so what to do next, any hint?
What was the FIND of the problem?

If x represents the starting number, and y represents the final number, which equation is equivalent to the number game?

How would you modify the problem statement (mathematically) - so that your work (in response #17) will be deemed mathematically correct?

Where did that come from?
just a mistake. Me trying to calculate something. tried to delete it but it got sent. let me try to do the equation again followwing the steps and correcting the mistake I make at 17, okay?

(x+5)⋅4 subtracting 12 now

(x+5)⋅4−12
Time to divide the 4. My question. And this is where I went wrong. please, answer this. Do I divide 4 by 12 or by the whole expression. this is important now!

Okay, I checked and saw that back at post 17 I got confused and divided by 4 all the numbers. Did not realize that the instructions asked me to divide by 4 the last number you get which was 12.
This is incorrect.
Think about the first 2 steps:
Add 5, multiply by 4.
Why does this correspond to (x+5)*4? Based on your post above, multiplication by 4 should apply to 5 only.

This is incorrect.
Think about the first 2 steps:
Add 5, multiply by 4.
Why does this correspond to (x+5)*4? Based on your post above, multiplication by 4 should apply to 5 only.
(x+5)⋅4(−12)

I had to add parentheses. Now the 4. I am in doubt. I think it should be divided all along because multiplication and division take precedence over addition and subtraction, right?.

I had to add parentheses. Now the 4. I am in doubt. I think it should be divided all along because multiplication and division take precedence over addition and subtraction, right?.
Why did you have to add parentheses?

Why did you have to add parentheses?
(x+5)⋅4−12 is this correct?. Time to divide the 4. My question. And this is where I went wrong. please, answer this. Do I divide 4 by 12 or by the whole expression.
Should it be like this
[math](x+5)⋅4−12/(4)[/math]

If I enclosed the 4 was because I wanted you to see that I think it divides the whole numerator. there is no need of parentheses had I know how to use the proper notation tool

(x+5)⋅4−12 is this correct?. Time to divide the 4. My question. And this is where I went wrong. please, answer this. Do I divide 4 by 12 or by the whole expression.
Should it be like this
[math](x+5)⋅4−12/(4)[/math]
By answering my question you will answer yours. Why (x+5)*4 and not x+5*4?