Using EAR formula solve for annual rate when EAR is known

OB1M

If the EAR (i) is known how can the equation be rearranged to extract the Annual Rate (r) which is unknown?

1566734880323.png

Hello, and welcome to FMH! :)

I would begin with:

[MATH]i=\left(1+\frac{r}{m}\right)^m-1[/MATH]
Add through by 1:

[MATH]i+1=\left(1+\frac{r}{m}\right)^m[/MATH]
Take the \(m\)th root of both sides:

[MATH](i+1)^{\frac{1}{m}}=1+\frac{r}{m}[/MATH]
Subtract through by 1:

[MATH](i+1)^{\frac{1}{m}}-1=\frac{r}{m}[/MATH]
Multiply through by \(m\) and arrange as:

[MATH]r=m\left((i+1)^{\frac{1}{m}}-1\right)[/MATH]
Using [MATH]i=\frac{I}{100}[/MATH] we may write:

[MATH]r=m\left(\left(\frac{I}{100}+1\right)^{\frac{1}{m}}-1\right)[/MATH]

Hi Mark, thanks for that. Love the graphics, never seen it done like this on a web page. I'm knocking on a bit at 70 and whilst I was taught math to calculus level at college I was poor at it because I needed a practical use for what I was learning and never found one. Now I find myself enjoying financial math purely out of interest. I had already transposed the equation but lacking confidence posted here and you confirmed that my answer was correct.

Question: why can't EAR [MATH]i[/MATH] be used as the basis for interest on all loans that are compounded?

What happens when the exponent numerator and denominator become the same [MATH] n/n[/MATH].

Does the EAR equation break down?

why can't EAR [MATH]i[/MATH] be used as the basis for interest on all loans that are compounded?

I would assume it can, except perhaps for interest that is continuously compounded.

What happens when the exponent numerator and denominator become the same [MATH] n/n[/MATH].

Does the EAR equation break down?

Where do you see that that can happen?