Using the ti 84 plus ce on Radicals

jacobrblocker

I am trying to solve problems like the ones like i have linked. Although when i try to solve it on the calculater it just gives me a number, but i need it to be simplified like 3 root 4. How would i be able to do this.)
)
(
)
)
(

Attachments

• Unit 1 - Radicals (Day 1)-2.jpg
    Unit 1 - Radicals (Day 1)-2.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 2
Having used that exact calculator, I can attest to the fact that the more complicated functions are often a pain in the butt to find and use. My honest opinion is that you're much better off just learning to do these exercises by hand. You probably could find a guide on Google or something about how to put your calculator in a mode to return symbolic representations of the answer rather than a numerical value, but in all the time it takes for that, you'd likely be finished with the worksheet if you just do it yourself :)

Probably the most important rule to brush up on here is that for any positive number n, \(\displaystyle \sqrt{n^2}=n\). Then, combine that with the rule that \(\displaystyle \sqrt{ab}=\sqrt{a} \cdot \sqrt{b}\), and factoring the numbers under the radical and you're good to go. As an example \(\displaystyle \sqrt{128}=\sqrt{64 \cdot 2}=\sqrt{8^2 \cdot 2}=8\sqrt{2}\). As another hint, remember that you can add radicals, as long as the number (or expression) under the radicals are the same. Like, on problem #3 on your worksheet:

\(\displaystyle -3\sqrt{6} + 2\sqrt{6}\)

Making a substitution of \(\displaystyle u = \sqrt{6}\), you have:

\(\displaystyle -3u + 2u = \text{???}\)

At the end don't forget to back-substitute in \(\displaystyle \sqrt{6}\).

Please re-read the Read Before Postinghttps://www.freemathhelp.com/forum/threads/54004-Read-Before-Posting thread that's stickied at the top of each subforum, and comply with its mandates, particularly the one about showing your work. Please share with us any and all work you've done on these problems, even including the parts you know for sure are wrong. Thank you.