Vector and how to find the head with norm and angle

laythen

Hi. I'm having a lot of difficulty finding the head of a vector from the origin in this problem. Without finding the head, I can't do the question. Here's is the description BEFORE the question. "Given the norms and measures of the angles of direction U and V, find the following linear combinations in order to determine the norm and the measure of the angle of direction of W." And here is the question. http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/7906/scan0001vt.jpg Please help me with an explanation. How do I find the coordinates of the head of a vector with only norm and the measure of direction of the angle? For example, please help me figure out the head of the vector V. I know it's head is at the coordinates (-8,-12) but that's because I counted it off the graph from the answer sheet. How do I get those coordinates? Thank you

Hi. I'm having a lot of difficulty finding the head of a vector from the origin in this problem. Without finding the head, I can't do the question. Here's is the description BEFORE the question. "Given the norms and measures of the angles of direction U and V, find the following linear combinations in order to determine the norm and the measure of the angle of direction of W." And here is the question. http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/7906/scan0001vt.jpg Please help me with an explanation. How do I find the coordinates of the head of a vector with only norm and the measure of direction of the angle? For example, please help me figure out the head of the vector V. I know it's head is at the coordinates (-8,-12) but that's because I counted it off the graph from the answer sheet. How do I get those coordinates? Thank you

Here you'll need to find head of 4v not v.

Magnitude of v is 3.6 so magnitude of 4v is (4*3.6 = ) 14.4.

It makes an angle of 236° with x-axis

so

x-coordinate = 14.4 * cos(236°) = -8.05

y-coordinate = 14.4 * sin(236°) = -11.94

Hi, thanks for the reply. That is exactly the answer I needed. Since I figured out that equation, I have gotten through 90% of the book. Now I am at the last part and I have a problem once again finding the length of a vector but this time with speed/angle. Question: A sailboat travelling at a speed of 40km/h in a direction of N 20 degrees E encounters a current that causes it to veer off-course at a speed of 10m/h in a direction of E 20 degrees N. Determine the sailboat's actual speed and direction. Let's make vector V the one going 40km/h in a direction of N 20 degrees E, how long do I make the vector? What are the coordinates of its head? Please help. Thank for the previous help.