Vector, centroid of triangle

burgerandcheese

What do they mean by "point of trisection on the median AD closer to D"? Where is that? I know that vector d is vector AD, but what does vector a represent?
By the way, please tell me how to write vectors on a computer without coding. Should I have to bold the letters like b or is there a way to write vector b with the squiggly line? maybe b_~? Haha
Thanks in advance

What do they mean by "point of trisection on the median AD closer to D"? Where is that? I know that vector d is vector AD, but what does vector a represent?
It means only that length(DG) is length(DA)/3 and that the same relationship holds for the other two medians. I'm not a fan of the terminology, since there are two points on each median that could be called the "point of trisection". Perhaps "a point of trisection" would be better.

View attachment 12244

By the way, please tell me how to write vectors on a computer without coding. Should I have to bold the letters like b or is there a way to write vector b with the squiggly line? maybe b_~? Haha
Thanks in advance
I believe they are using a, b, c, and d to mean the position vectors of points A, B, C, and D. So d is not AD, unless A is the origin. Didn't they state what the vectors are?

There are two "points of trisection" on AD, namely the points that divide it into three equal parts. G is the one that is closer to D, so that DG = 1/3 DA, and AG = 2 GD.

Bold works fine.

If it was not explicitly stated in connection with this problem, they may have a convention in general that the position vector of a point is named with the corresponding lower-case letter.