Vectors and Linear Independance

bas_02

Not sure if im correct. My options are "ALWAYS", "NEVER" and "SOMETIMES".

1593583776797.png

Since \(\displaystyle v= v_1+ v_2+ v_3\) and \(\displaystyle v=v_1+ 4v_2- 5v_3\) it follows that \(\displaystyle v_1+ v_2+ v_3= v_1+ 4v_2- 5v_3\) so subtracting \(\displaystyle v_1+ v_2+ v_3\) from both sides, \(\displaystyle 0= 3v_2- 4v_3\). Now what does that tell you?

If you have "n" independent vectors in an n-dimensional space they must span the space.

What is the definition of "basis" for a vector space?

Since \(\displaystyle v= v_1+ v_2+ v_3\) and \(\displaystyle v=v_1+ 4v_2- 5v_3\) it follows that \(\displaystyle v_1+ v_2+ v_3= v_1+ 4v_2- 5v_3\) so subtracting \(\displaystyle v_1+ v_2+ v_3\) from both sides, \(\displaystyle 0= 3v_2- 4v_3\). Now what does that tell you?

If you have "n" independent vectors in an n-dimensional space they must span the space.

What is the definition of "basis" for a vector space?
Thanks. I got my answer now

Your initial answers were wrong. What are your new answers? By the way I think it's – 6v_3 above.

Now can we see your work?
My reasoning is that if for 1) v2 depends on v3, they are never linearly independent
for 2) They sometimes span R^3. We don't have enough info to conclude whether they do or don't. It could also be that all vectors map to a 1d line or 2d plane. We don't know.

For 3) if v, v1 and v2 are basis vectors, this implies they r all linearly independent and span r3. This must also mean that v3 also spans r3 nd is linearly independent.

Part B) V can be expressed in terms of V1, V2 and V3 so V contributes nothing to the span of {V1, V2, V3}. Now V2 can be expressed in terms of V3. What does that tell you?