Vectors

Dinky_Bell

I understand most of the Vectors my class has done before...But that is preaty much blown out the window when its a word problem.

If anyone can help, please do ....i would greatly appreciate it.

13. A helicopter is hoverin at 3000 meters directly over the eastern perimeter of a secret Air Force installation. The eastern perimeter is 5000 meters from the installation headquarters. the helicopter receives a transmission from headquarters that a UFO has been sighted at 7500 metters directly over the installation's western perimeter, which is 9000 meters from headquarters. How far must the helicopter travel to intercept the UFO?

Hello, Dinky_Bell!

I wouldn't call this a Vector Problem at all . . . it's Algebra I.
. . Did you bother to make a sketch?

13. A helicopter is hovering at 3000 m directly over the eastern perimeter of a secret AF installation.
The eastern perimeter is 5000 m from the installation HQs.
The helicopter receives a transmission from HQ that a UFO has been sighted
at 7500 m directly over the installation's western perimeter, 9000 m from HQ.
How far must the helicopter travel to intercept the UFO?
Code:
    U *
      |
 4500 |
      |
      + - - - - - - - - - - - - - - * H
      |                             |
 3000 |                             | 3000
      |                             | 
      W     9000      Q    5000     E
The helicopter is at \(\displaystyle H\), 3000 m over \(\displaystyle E\), the eastern perimeter, 5000 m east of HQ at \(\displaystyle Q\).
The UFO is at \(\displaystyle U\), 7500 m over \(\displaystyle W\), the western perimeter, 9000 m west of \(\displaystyle Q\).

We are asked to find \(\displaystyle HU\), the hypotenuse of a right triangle with legs \(\displaystyle 4500\) and \(\displaystyle 14,000\).

yes i made a sketch i just dont know how to put it in here....how did you by the way? and the triangle is HQU.