Verifying an identity

loolmath

I'm having a little trouble trying to verify this problem

6 sin^3 (x) cos(x) cos^2(x) − sin^2 (x) + 6 sin(x) cos^3 (x) cos^2(x) − sin^2 (x) = 3 tan(2x)

I kind of understand how to get to 3tan by factoring out the 6 in the top and rewriting the denominator as cos2x but I'm lost on where the 2x in 3tan is coming from

6 sin^3 (x) cos(x) cos^2(x) − sin^2 (x) + 6 sin(x) cos^3 (x) cos^2(x) − sin^2 (x)

… the 6 in the top and rewriting the denominator …
Hi loolmath. I don't see any ratio(s). Please type grouping symbols around the numerator and around the denominator. You may type a forward slash between them, to show the division.

Thanks

:)

Hi loolmath. I don't see any ratio(s). Please type grouping symbols around the numerator and around the denominator. You may type a forward slash between them, to show the division.

Thanks

Oops like this?

6 sin^3 (x) cos(x) / cos^2(x) − sin^2 (x) + 6 sin(x) cos^3 (x) / cos^2(x) − sin^2 (x) = 3 tan(2x)

Oops like this?

6 sin^3 (x) cos(x) / cos^2(x) − sin^2 (x) + 6 sin(x) cos^3 (x) / cos^2(x) − sin^2 (x) = 3 tan(2x)
Or is it, oops, like this?
6 sin^3 (x) cos(x) / (cos^2(x) − sin^2 (x)) + 6 sin(x) cos^3 (x) / (cos^2(x) − sin^2 (x)) = 3 tan(2x)

Parentheses are important!

-Dan

Oops like this?
Nope. You didn't type grouping symbols around the numerators or denominators. Your latest version may be interpreted more than 10 different ways.

Please post a picture of the given expression, so that we may see what you're working on. Thank you.

Nope. You didn't type grouping symbols around the numerators or denominators. Your latest version may be interpreted more than 10 different ways.

Please post a picture of the given expression, so that we may see what you're working on. Thank you.

Attachments

• image0 (49).jpeg
    image0 (49).jpeg
    292.6 KB · Views: 6
In the LeftHandSide, the denominators of the "fractional" expressions are same.

Moreover, those are same as the denominator of the expression at the RHS.

continue......

6 sin^3 (x) cos(x) / (cos^2(x) − sin^2 (x)) + 6 sin(x) cos^3 (x) / (cos^2(x) − sin^2 (x)) = 3 tan(2x)
Yes, that's equivalent to loolmath's image, which I'll show as:

[6*sin^3(x)*cos(x)] / [cos^2(x) − sin^2(x)] + [6*sin(x)*cos^3(x)] / [cos^2(x) − sin^2(x)]

@loolmath There's already a common denominator, so I'm assuming that you've added the ratios.

[6*sin^3(x)*cos(x) + 6*sin(x)*cos^3(x)] / [cos^2(x) − sin^2(x)]

Now, factor the numerator:

6*sin^3(x)*cos(x) + 6*sin(x)*cos^3(x)

I'm having a little trouble trying to verify this problem

6 sin^3 (x) cos(x) cos^2(x) − sin^2 (x) + 6 sin(x) cos^3 (x) cos^2(x) − sin^2 (x) = 3 tan(2x)

I kind of understand how to get to 3tan by factoring out the 6 in the top and rewriting the denominator as cos2x but I'm lost on where the 2x in 3tan is coming from
Have you learned the double-angle identities? If not, look them up. They will be very useful here!