volume integrals in polar coordinates

Maxim

Hi, in preparations of my calculus exam I have been making exams of the previous years, but I've tried the next question twice but fail to get the right answer. the problem goes as follows:

circle c: x² + y² = 1
the heart shape has a corresponding equation of (x-1/2)² + y² -sqrt(x²+y²) = 1/4

a) transform both functions to polar coordinates.
b) find the volume of the body enclosed vertically by the planes z=0 and z=4 and horizontally enclosed by the edge of the gray colored area A.
c) find the volume of the body enclosed vertically by the planes z=0 and z=4 and horizontally enclosed by the edge of the red colored area B.

For part a I get r² = 1 and r²cos²a - r*cos a +r²sin²a - r = 0 with a being the angle

for part b i'm not even sure I know which area he wants me to calculate. I think area B but i'm not sure. but when I try to integrate ( Z from 0-4, r from 0 - sqrt1 and a from 0 to 2pi) I get a volume of zero. I assume the a needs to be a different value but I'm not sure which that would be. the supposed right answer is 8+pi

for part C i would calculate the overall volume of the cylinder C and subtract the answer from B but I can't really verify without solving B first.

Many thanks

-Maxim

When I convert the rectangular equations to polar, I get:

[MATH]r_1=1[/MATH]
[MATH]r_2=\cos(\theta)+1[/MATH]
This is what you would get upon simplifying.

Now, the gray area \(A_1\) can be found by:

[MATH]A_1=\frac{1}{2}\int_{-\frac{\pi}{2}}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}r_2^2-r_1^2\,d\theta[/MATH]
Please confirm that you get:

[MATH]A_1=\frac{8+\pi}{4}[/MATH]
And then we can continue. :)

thank you for your swift reply.when calculating the integral you gave I do indeed get the correct answer after integrating to Z. I also get why you use a as pi/2 , but where does the 1/2 in front of the integral come from?

Basically, when doing integrals in polar coordinates, we are using circular sectors (rather than the rectangles we use in rectangular coordinates), and the area \(A\) of a circular sector is given by:

[MATH]A=\frac{1}{2}r^2\theta[/MATH]
Thus:

[MATH]dA=\frac{1}{2}r^2\,d\theta[/MATH]

ah i see thank you very much i don't have much experience in dealing with polar coordinates so i didn't see the link

To find area B, I would observe that we have a semicircle to the right of the vertical axis, and the area in quadrants 2 and 3 are equivalent, so I would write:

[MATH]A_2=\frac{\pi}{2}+2\cdot\frac{1}{2}\int_{\frac{\pi}{2}}^{\pi} r_2^2\,d\theta[/MATH]
You should confirm that:

[MATH]A_2=\frac{5\pi-8}{4}[/MATH]