Weighted Average

The index i represents the subscripts; it ranges from 1 to 3. This is not the same as the values of the quantities.

Have you read about sigma notation, in order to understand what it means? Try here:

Yes, I have checked online. I assume that the upper index would be "n" if the number of subscripts is unknown or not determined.

I'm not sure what you are referring to. There is no weight of 3.
You are misinterpreting the term "weight" here!

In your original problem, it is said:

..............Type C: 4 boxes @ $0.42

That translates to -

the 3rd. bunch (C) - which is designated W3 has 4 boxes \(\displaystyle \ \to \

\) W3 = 4

Yes, I understand W3 is the weight of 4 boxes and $0.42 is the value X3. This is as you indicated 4 boxes @ $0.42.
But what is i = 3 in you answer: "... your problem, W3 = 4, and i = 3." Are you referring to the total number of subscripts, 3 of them?

Yes, I have checked online. I assume that the upper index would be "n" if the number of subscripts is unknown or not determined.
Yes, n would be replaced with whatever the highest index is, when you apply such a formula. So the number on top is that highest index. If the summation starts at "i=1", that will be the number of terms; but it could start at 0, or anything else. Meanwhile, i is the index of any particular term. (See the last example in the page I referred you to, for one that starts at i=3.