What does the apostrophe mean in this derivative?

joshua03

I understand the logic of the math, but I don't understand the notation. There is an apostrophe after the b in the expression (1/(x*ln(b)'). I'm not sure I've seen an apostrophe like that in math and I'm not sure what it means. I have attached an image of what I am looking at.Derivative of logbx.jpg

I think it's a typo. Also possible that whoever created it put an extraneous period there.

Whoops, looked at the wrong one. I agree, it's a poorly typeset comma.

you see the comma above b, but it is not above b. it is on the line to separate the fraction from (for x > 0)

[MATH]\frac{1}{x\ ln \ b},[/math] for [math]x > 0[/MATH]

Thank you for the help. I was just looking at this with the wrong mindset. It definitely looks like there is punctuation in the expression since the expression is included in a sentence.

This is why I hated being a student. Such stupid things would bother me for hours! I am glad that I don't have to deal with that. Even dealing with Subhotosh isn't as bad. Can anyone imagine if Subotosh and I had a student-teacher relationship? If he was my teacher I would have driven him crazy! If he was my student I would have taught him one thing. Can anyone guess?

Thank you for the help. I was just looking at this with the wrong mindset. It definitely looks like there is punctuation in the expression since the expression is included in a sentence.
I have to say, I've done the very same thing more than once. Something whose meaning is obvious when you see it the way it was intended, can call forth some very creative interpretations when you come at it from the wrong direction.

I'm just glad I have a place to put many eyes on something so someone can see the obvious.