What does this symbol mean? "I_[0,1]"

Wogie

Hi I'm reading a textbook and I keep seeing the I_[0,1] symbol. What does it mean?

beta distribution.jpg

I don't know what quantity symbol I represents, but I could guess that I takes on various values as a function of some attributes (with specific values of these attributes 0 and 1 appearing as the subscript).

Function f appears to have x as its independent variable, with alpha and beta specified as parameters (i.e., variable constants which change from one application of f to another).

Perhaps, alpha=0 and beta=1 specifies one of many possible values of I.

My comments are all guesses.

Does the textbook define any of these symbols? Does it explain the scenarios under which function f is useful?

Do you know the meaning of alpha and beta?

Hi I'm reading a textbook and I keep seeing the I_[0,1] symbol. What does it mean?

View attachment 10119

Comparing this to other definitions of the Beta distribution, I see that the function is restricted to the interval [0,1]. That strongly suggests that in your form, I_[0,1](x) represents a function of x whose value is 1 within the interval and 0 outside.

Does that make sense in your context? I would expect this to have been defined before being used; did you look elsewhere in the source?