what fraction came from investment

eddy2017

Elite Member
Hi, dear tutors, I am still struggling over word problems. this is one .
In a year, a family member earned $24,000 and another member of the family earned the same amount 24,000 dollars. The total annual income for the family was $56,000. The extra earning came from an investment. what fraction came from the investment?

This is what I have been able to do:
Between the two members earned a total of 48,000 dollars
The total amount of money earned in the year was $56,000.
I am told the extra earning came from an investment
the extra earning is 8,000 dollars. that is extra. that came from the investment.
what fraction of the earnings came from investment?, well, that is what I have to find out
should I divide 8,000 into 56,000?
if this is correct then I would get that 7% of the total amount of money came from the earning. they want the answer in fractional form
so 7 out of a hundred or 7/100. the fraction that came from the investment was 7/100.
Is this correct?. Something with the conversion seems terribly off, don't know why.
Thanks in advance.

In a year, a family member earned $24,000 and another member of the family earned the same amount 24,000 dollars. The total annual income for the family was $56,000. The extra earning came from an investment. what fraction came from the investment?

the extra earning is 8,000 dollars. that is extra. that came from the investment.
what fraction of the earnings came from investment?, well, that is what I have to find out
if this is correct then I would get that 7% of the total amount of money came from the earning. they want the answer in fractional form
so 7 out of a hundred or 7/100. the fraction that came from the investment was 7/100.
Is this correct?. Something with the conversion seems terribly off, don't know why.
Thanks in advance.
Have you posted the problem exactly as it was given to you? If it were in Spanish, please post the Spanish version. Your statement:

The extra earning came from an investment. what fraction came from the investment
The statement above does not make sense to me......

I would have stated:

What fraction of the total money came from the earnings of the investment?​

And you say:
I would get that 7% of the total amount of money came from the earning.

How did you calculate that? Please show detailed calculations.

Okay.
My reasoning went like this:
24,000 + 24,000= 48,000 earned between the two members of the family.
The problem says that the total amount for the year was 56,000.
It says that the extra earning came from investment.
So I need to find out the extra earning which I did by subtracting 48,000 from 56,000
It yields 8,000 in extra earnings.
But the problem is asking what fraction came from investment.
Here I was in doubt about how to put that 8,000 into fractional form.

Then I venture this guess.
I divided the extra earning into the total amount of money earned in the year
56,000 ÷ 8,000
That gave me 7.
I thought that to put 7 in fractional from I had to divided by 100 hence 7/100
But now I think the 7 could also be expressed as 1/7. But don't know how to explain why.

Then I venture this guess.
I divided the extra earning into the total amount of money earned in the year
56,000 ÷ 8,000
That gave me 7.
I thought that to put 7 in fractional from I had to divided by 100 hence 7/100
But now I think the 7 could also be expressed as 1/7. But don't know how to explain why.
You want to find what fraction 8,000 is of 56,000, right?

Suppose you wanted to know what fraction 2 is of 6. What would you do? (Once you answer that, think about whether your answer make sense.)

The fraction that is investment is 8,000/56,000 or 1/7. To convert to percentage you multiply 1/7 by 1 using 100% for 1.

You want to find what fraction 8,000 is of 56,000, right?

Suppose you wanted to know what fraction 2 is of 6. What would you do? (Once you answer that, think about whether your answer make sense.)
2/6

Thanks in advance.
7 does not equal 7%. You need to use math, not just say anything you want.

7 = 7*1 = 7*100% = 700%

7 does not equal 7%. You need to use math, not just say anything you want.

7 = 7*1 = 7*100% = 700%
this is where I was at a loss for what to do next. Now, I know. I took it down as a note so I do not forget it.

I knew I had to perform division. The extra earning divided by the total amount of money earned but did not know what to do with the 7. Did not know how to take it into fraction. It is embarrassing. Such a simple thing.

The fraction that is investment is 8,000/56,000 or 1/7. To convert to percentage you multiply 1/7 by 1 using 100% for
you said 'to convert to percentage you multiply 1/7 by 1 using 100% for 1
so, that would be,
1/7 * 100
is this correct?

Last edited:
I was asking becuase I am in doubt about what jomo said
Jomo said:
The fraction that is investment is 8,000/56,000 or 1/7. To convert to percentage you multiply 1/7 by 1 using 100% for 1.
I am just setting this up as I read it.
1/7 * 100 it is 1/7 per hundred.
but where I am in doubt is with the result
1640043450587.png
I do not see the connection with the answer to the problem here.

and I am asking why did jomo say this:
Jomo said:
why???. I do not get that. can anyone explain that. I have asked the questions three times. what does the italics mean?.
I am reading it the wrong way, as it appears.

All I was asking was how to put the 7 into fractional form. it was all I was asking. Because one of the possible options for the answer listed was 1/7.
and I got 7 when I divided the 8,000 into 56,000.