What fraction of the land......?

eddy2017

Elite Member
Hi, dear teachers and friends: I had to open a new the thread with a new problem. Unfortunately, I could not find the missing part of the one i had posted. I am sorry about that.
This is the new problem. Looking forward to your hints ad cues. You are teaching me little by little to think mathematically. :) . Thanks for that!
eddy

Three grandsons and two granddaughters inherit land from a grandparent's estate. The older daughter inherits 1/3 of the land. The four other grandchildren equally share the remaining land. What fraction of the land does the younger granddaughter inherit?

Eddy

What is the first thing to do WITH ANY WORD PROBLEM?

Hi, dear teachers and friends: I had to open a new the thread with a new problem. Unfortunately, I could not find the missing part of the one i had posted. I am sorry about that.
This is the new problem. Looking forward to your hints ad cues. You are teaching me little by little to think mathematically. :) . Thanks for that!
eddy

Three grandsons and two granddaughters inherit land from a grandparent's estate. The older daughter inherits 1/3 of the land. The four other grandchildren equally share the remaining land. What fraction of the land does the younger granddaughter inherit?
Please show us what you have tried and exactly where you are stuck.

Please follow the rules of posting in this forum, as enunciated at:

Please share your work/thoughts about this problem.

Thanks for the heads-up.
Three grandsons and two granddaughters inherit land from a grandparent's estate. The older daughter inherits 1/3 of the land.
the older daughter inherits 1/3
she inherits 1/3 of 1
so, the rest of the brothers inherit 9/7
Is it OK?

Now, the problems says that the rest of brothers, including the younger daughter shared what is left of the land equally.
the young granddaughter will inherit what the brother will inherit.
Will 9/7 divided by 5 be something logical to do?.
Thanks

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads-up.
Three grandsons and two granddaughters inherit land from a grandparent's estate. The older daughter inherits 1/3 of the land.
the older daughter inherits 1/3
she inherits 1/3 of 1
so, the rest of the brothers inherit 9/7
Is it OK?
No it is NOT!
After the oldest granddaughter inherits, there would \(\bf\dfrac{2}{3}\) of the land left.
The leftover is divided evenly among four people, so each gets \(\bf\dfrac{1}{4}\cdot\dfrac{2}{3}=\dfrac{1}{6}\).
Example: Suppose the estate consisted of twenty-four acres.
Then the oldest granddaughter gets eight acres and the other grandchildren get four acres each.

Thanks, I think I see the big picture now.
The operation here would be subtraction. I see it is evident now.
I need to subtract 1/3 from 1 = 2/3

The problem says that the brothers and the young granddaughter equally share the remaining part of the land.
So, now, I see clearly that this is the moment where I can divide 2/3 into 4 equal parts.
2 ÷ 4
which equals 1/6
so the younger daughter inherits 1/6 of the remaining land.
thanks a lot for the help!

pka, thanks for your explanation.The way you set it up is even easier. I like it much better.

Yes, of course. Doing the wrong calculation to get to the unit 1.
I said to me : 1/3 has been inherited, what's left:
9/7. Because 1+9 =10
and 10/10 makes up the unit. lol.
Now I know better!.:)