what is the answer to x^2x^5 + x^3x^4 ?

lrinck

Ok I feel stupid asking this question, but what is the answer to x^2x^5 + x^3x^4?

Please help. Thank you! :oops:

Re: Math help

lrinck said:
...what is the answer to x^2x^5 + x^3x^4?
What are supposed to do - factorize, simplify, what??

lrinck said:
...what is the answer to x^2x^5 + x^3x^4?
Subhotosh Khan said:
What are supposed to do - factorize, simplify, what??
Exactly: What, precisely, is the question? :shock:

This is why the "Read Before Posting" thread you read specified, in part, that you "[p]ost the complete text of the exercise. This would include the full statement of the exercise and its instructions, so the tutors will know what you are working on." :wink:

It will also be helpful, when you reply, if you "how all of your work. If you've shown no work at all, the tutors may assume that you're needing help getting started, and may suggest only how to do the first step. Even if you're asking only about the very end of the solution process, still include all of your intermediate steps. Errors may have occurred earlier than you'd realized...." :idea:

Thank you, and welcome to FreeMathHelp! :D

Eliz.

lrinck said:
to solve it

It is not an equation - it does not have '=' or '<' or '>' signs. In general, you cannot solve 'things' without any of those signs.

Post the EXACT question.

Ok the directions state Simplify each expression. Write answers without negative exponents. Assume that al variables represent nonzero real numbers. Srry I mis read directions. And the equation still is x^2x^5 + x^3x^4

one big hint ...

\(\displaystyle \L x^a \cdot x^b = x^{a+b}\)

second hint ...

don't forget to combine like terms.

Ok the directions state Simplify each expression. Write answers without negative exponents. Assume that al variables represent nonzero real numbers. Srry I mis read directions. And the equation still is x^2x^5 + x^3x^4

lrinck said:
And the equation still is x^2x^5 + x^3x^4

what you posted is not an equation ... it is an algebraic expression.

so ... what did you do with the two hints I gave you?

sorry, no.

\(\displaystyle x^2 \cdot x^5 = x^7\) and \(\displaystyle x^3 \cdot x^4 = x^7\)

now ... use the second hint.

no ...

\(\displaystyle x^7 + x^7 = 2x^7\)

it's rather obvious that you are missing some very basic algebra skills ... please consult with your teacher as soon as you can.

Im just not very good at math I just dont remember what I did my freshman year. Now Science I am extremely smart at I got a 30 on the ACT