What is the mean width of the 12 ipads and 8 kindles?.

eddy2017

Elite Member
Hi,
The mean width of 12 ipads is 5.1 inches. The mean width of 8 kindles is 4.8 inches.
a) What is the total width of the ipads?.
b) What is the total width of the Kindles?.
c) What is the mean width of the 12 ipads and 8 kindles?.

for a) I multiplied 12 * 5.1 in =61.2. inches
b) I multiplied 8 * 4.8=38.4

now for the mean width of both devices I add the two results and divide them by 2
62.1+38.4 =100.5 ÷ 2 =50.25

Is this correct?
thanks,
eddy

Hi,
The mean width of 12 ipads is 5.1 inches. The mean width of 8 kindles is 4.8 inches.

now for the mean width of both devices I add the two results and divide them by 2

Is this correct?
thanks,
eddy
As a reasonably check, iPads have a mean width of 5.1, and kindles have mean width of 4.8, does it make sense to have a mean width of 50.25 for both kindles and iPads? Since it's an average, you should expect the answer to be somewhere in between 4.8 and 5.1.

Hi,

Is this correct?
thanks,
eddy
No!

Correct method would be:

Average width = (61.2 + 38.4)/ (12 + 8) = 4.98 inch

You should contemplate the absurdity of the answer that you calculated (average width = 50.25 inch)

As a reasonably check, iPads have a mean width of 5.1, and kindles have mean width of 4.8, does it make sense to have a mean width of 50.25 for both kindles and iPads? Since it's an average, you should expect the answer to be somewhere in between 4.8 and 5.1.
It doesn't make any sense at all. That's what brought me to doubt the result. Thanks

At what point did you doubt your result?

[imath]\;[/imath]
right at this moment. I was going to apply the mean calculation routinely. that is where i said 'uhmm,I know I need to get some help. Mind slow as molasses in January, but it will improve. lol
What is the mean width of the 12 ipads and 8 kindles?.

At what point did you doubt your result?

[imath]\;[/imath]
When I got the total width for the two devices, i say now piece of cake, i plus it and divide by 2 and there you have it, then I said, can not be that easy you know better than that. that is where I was about to do and did it in fact and Dr Khan called me out

Oits, what i said i nthe other thread was trying to razz you a little bit. you are always doing that to me, so i said what the heck he is not going to mind a little bit of razzing. i sounded like i as mad right, I got you this time.

Easy or not, if the mean width of 12 ipads is 5.1 inches and the mean width of 8 kindles is 4.8 inches how can the average width be 50.25?
To find the average width you need to add up 20 numbers!

Also, [math]62.1+38.4\neq100.5 ÷ 2.[/math] Stop saying nonsense like this!