What Is The Name Of This Symbol?

mmm4444bot

Super Moderator

I recently posted some information for somebody in which I would have liked to have referred to the vertical evaluation bar below by its actual name, but I do not know its name.

I saw one reference call it the "with operator", but I do not trust the source.

I find it difficult to search the Internet for symbol names. My browser does not render several symbols at many of the sites that I visited during my quick 'n dirty search.

\(\displaystyle \left. \frac{du}{dx} \right|_{a}^b\)

Do you know any name(s) for this symbol?

Cheers,

~ Mark :)

I always used the phrase "evaluated from" when evaluating integrals in Calculus, but the same bar can mean "restricted to" when referring to functions on sets. I do not know the exact name for the symbol, though.

My TI89 manual calls it the "with" operator. It includes the quotes as well. Maybe they couldn't find a legitimate name either.

My Calc teacher calls it "Limbo land notation" but I have no idea what it's really called

It's called Leibniz notation. When calculus was developed, Newton had this wacky notation that didn't take hold. But Leibniz's did.

I do not know of any particular name for dy/dx, except perhaps 'differential'

I believe that Leibniz notation is the dy/dx, Lagrange's is f(x) f'(x) f"(x), and Newton's had a dot over x. The image from left to right has Newton's, Leibniz's, and Lagrange's.
07bc274a00b278c87570f80e7e56cbdf.png

My calculus book just calls the vertical line "short hand"