Whats the difference

naveed_786110

Q. The population of a country is growing exponentially at a constant rate of 2% per year. How much time this population will take to double itself?

Solution:

Method-I:
S=P(1+i)^n
2P=P(1+0.02)^n
2 = 1.02^n
n=log 2 / log 1.02
n=35 years.

Method - II:

S=Pe^in
2P=Pe^0.02n
n=34.65

The correct answer is 34.65..... The problem is why METHOD - I is not working (even its close) ?

Q. The population of a country is growing exponentially at a constant rate of 2% per year. How much time this population will take to double itself?

Solution:

Method-I:
S=P(1+i)^n
2P=P(1+0.02)^n
2 = 1.02^n
n=log 2 / log 1.02
n=35 years.

Method - II:

S=Pe^in
2P=Pe^0.02n
n=34.65

The correct answer is 34.65..... The problem is why METHOD - I is not working?
Did the exercise say that the population was growing at two percent, compounded annually; or exponentially at a constant two percent? ;)

Solution:

Method-I:
S=P(1+i)^n
2P=P(1+0.02)^n
2 = 1.02^n
n=log 2 / log 1.02
n=35 years.

Method - II:

S=Pe^in
2P=Pe^0.02n
n=34.65

The correct answer is 34.65..... The problem is why METHOD - I is not working (even its close) ?

First the growth is exponential means
S = ef(x)
We could actually use any base which is convenient since af= ef ln(a) = eg. Now if a rate of exponential growth is constant, that actually means that the function f(x) is growing at a constant rate. That is
dS/dx = f'(x) ef(x) = f'(x) S
and the rate of exponential growth = (dS/dx)/S = f'(x) is constant [=0.02=2% in this case]. Since f'(x) is constant, f(x) is linear and f(x) =bx+c where b=0.02 and ec=S(0) [=P in your notation], and x is in years.

To look at it another way, let's use a base of 1.02 for convenience. IF we have
S(n) = S(0) 1.02n [ = P 1.02n]
then we would have
S'(n)/S(n) = ln(1.02)

Last edited:
First the growth is exponential means
S = ef(x)
We could actually use any base which is convenient since af= ef ln(a) = eg. Now if a rate of exponential growth is constant, that actually means that the function f(x) is growing at a constant rate. That is
dS/dx = f'(x) ef(x) = f'(x) S
and the rate of exponential growth = (dS/dx)/S = f'(x) is constant [=0.02=2% in this case]. Since f'(x) is constant, f(x) is linear and f(x) =bx+c where b=0.02 and ec=S(0) [=P in your notation], and x is in years.

To look at it another way, let's use a base of 1.02 for convenience. IF we have
S(n) = S(0) 1.02n [ = P 1.02n]
then we would have
1.02 = S(1)/S(0) = S(n)/S(n-1)
and the ratio would be constant, not the rate.

What actually Exponential rate means?

Exponential increase, in its simplest form, means that how fast something increases is proportional to the size of that something [the bigger/smaller it is the faster/slower it grows]. How fast something increases is the rate of increase (that is the derivative of the function of amount). That's what you have in the problem: You have a population S which is exponential in growth with a rate of increase which is a constant 2%. So the derivative of S [how fast S is growing] divided by S is equal to the constant 0.02 [2%]. If you do not know the calculus for this, you should have been given it as a definition.

What Ishuda said is much better than what I will say but I will say it anyways. Exponential rate is a continuous increase (decrease). The amount at any time changes constantly, not 4 times per year or every minute or every second but all the time.