When to integrate using a hyperbolic substitution instead of normal trig

Lula

Hi

I'm working on a second order homogeneous ODE that involves integrating

\(\displaystyle \int \frac{1}{\sqrt{1+v^{2}}} \: dv \)..........(see attachment)

I would have made the substitution v = tan(theta) for the integrand sec(theta) wrt theta but my lecturer goes from the integral to an answer of arcsinh(v)
Why/how have they gotten this answer and how do I know to make this substitution in the future?

Thanks

Attachments

• CodeCogsEqn.gif
    CodeCogsEqn.gif
    706 bytes · Views: 0
It really doesn't matter, use whichever is simplest! Given "\(\displaystyle 1+ v^2\)" you can think "\(\displaystyle u^2= 1+ v^2\) so that \(\displaystyle u^2- v^2= 1\) and match that to either \(\displaystyle tan^2(\theta)- sec^2(theta)= 1\) or \(\displaystyle cosh^2(x)- sinh^2(x)= 1\).

Many people prefer to stick with "sine and cosine" or "sinh and cosh" rather than going to tangent, secant, etc.

Hi

\(\displaystyle \int \frac{1}{\sqrt{1+v^{2}}} \: dv \)..........(see attachment)

I would have made the substitution v = tan(theta) for the integrand sec(theta) wrt theta but my lecturer goes from the integral to an answer of arcsinh(v)
Why/how have they gotten this answer and how do I know to make this substitution in the future?

Thanks
One difference I remember between sin(x) and sinh(x) is that:

sin(x) is oscillating function with restricted range - where as​
sinh(x) is monotonic function, with unrestricted range (and domain).​

Hi

Thanks
If I were you, I'd just try out both ways and find for myself how they differ. Can you show your work both ways? Are there points in either where you have trouble? Partly it will be a matter of taste or experience.

I'm not sure whether you are saying you didn't follow all the work, or not.