where did this come from.

allegansveritatem

Here is an example problem that contains an expression I don't get and it is not at all introduced in the text. Here is the example:
tanc.PNG
My problem with this is I don't see anything about C being a tangent anywhere in the original layout of the equation. Am I supposed to know that a variable in that position is by some definition a tangent? So, whee did the tangent come from. I seem to vaguely recall discovering on my own that the phase shift was a tangent of something...but I don't know if that applies here.

Where does it say that C is a tangent?

Do you have a question about the proof? Or is your question about C being tangent to something? If your question is about not understanding something in the proof then please tell us where you are getting lost?

Please post back

I'm confused. The problem states explicitly that tan(C) = b/a; but that means C is an angle, not a tangent.

Or are you asking how they would come up with C when trying to rewrite the expression a cos(Bx) + b sin(Bx)?

Dr Peterson, you really are slowing down. I am starting to worry about you.

I've seen many ways to prove this fact, some clearer than others; I have to say that this one seems particularly poorly motivated, pulling that tangent out of a hat. WHY would you choose to let C have that value?

I would instead have done something like this:

We have the expression [MATH]a\cos(Bx) + b\sin(Bx)[/MATH] . That is vaguely reminiscent of the angle sum formula, [MATH]\cos(u - v) = \cos(u)\cos(v) + \sin(u)\sin(v)[/MATH].

We'd like to turn [MATH]a[/MATH] into a cosine and [MATH]b[/MATH] into a sine. But that would require [MATH]a^2 + b^2 = 1[/MATH]. We can move in that direction by dividing everything by [MATH]\sqrt{a^2 + b^2}[/MATH], and then multiplying by it:

[MATH]a\cos(Bx) + b\sin(Bx) = \sqrt{a^2 + b^2}\left(\frac{a}{\sqrt{a^2 + b^2}}\cos(Bx) + \frac{b}{\sqrt{a^2 + b^2}}\sin(Bx)\right)[/MATH]​

Now we can call [MATH]\sqrt{a^2 + b^2}[/MATH] "[MATH]A[/MATH]", and suppose that [MATH]\frac{a}{\sqrt{a^2 + b^2}} = \cos(C)[/MATH] and [MATH]\frac{b}{\sqrt{a^2 + b^2}} = \sin(C)[/MATH], and everything will work out.

But do you see that then, [MATH]\tan(C) = \frac{b}{a}[/MATH]?

The truth is, I was pondering whether to give the long answer immediately, but when I saw someone else had answered, I posted the short answer I'd written so far, just to not look like I was responding to whatever you had written. Then I decided the full answer would be appropriate, and continued with what I was doing.

So in one sense you sped me up, and in another sense, I took longer because I thought more ...

The truth is, I was pondering whether to give the long answer immediately, but when I saw someone else had answered, I posted the short answer I'd written so far, just to not look like I was responding to whatever you had written. Then I decided the full answer would be appropriate, and continued with what I was doing.

So in one sense you sped me up, and in another sense, I took longer because I thought more ...
...and I thought that I was getting better. Oh well. The main thing is that in the end I really have learned to think better from you and that is so valuable. Thank you!

I'm confused. The problem states explicitly that tan(C) = b/a; but that means C is an angle, not a tangent.

Or are you asking how they would come up with C when trying to rewrite the expression a cos(Bx) + b sin(Bx)?
what I mean is: the statement of the problem, the equation to be solved which is: a cosBx + bsinBx=Acos(Bx-C). There is no mention of C being a tanC. Later down in the working out of the example the author starts refering to C as a tanC. I want to know where he got that tan? I mean, is it understood that C in the position it is in here in the phase shift position, is always a tan and so there is no need to say Acos(Bx-tanC)?

I've seen many ways to prove this fact, some clearer than others; I have to say that this one seems particularly poorly motivated, pulling that tangent out of a hat. WHY would you choose to let C have that value?

I would instead have done something like this:

We have the expression [MATH]a\cos(Bx) + b\sin(Bx)[/MATH] . That is vaguely reminiscent of the angle sum formula, [MATH]\cos(u - v) = \cos(u)\cos(v) + \sin(u)\sin(v)[/MATH].

We'd like to turn [MATH]a[/MATH] into a cosine and [MATH]b[/MATH] into a sine. But that would require [MATH]a^2 + b^2 = 1[/MATH]. We can move in that direction by dividing everything by [MATH]\sqrt{a^2 + b^2}[/MATH], and then multiplying by it:

[MATH]a\cos(Bx) + b\sin(Bx) = \sqrt{a^2 + b^2}\left(\frac{a}{\sqrt{a^2 + b^2}}\cos(Bx) + \frac{b}{\sqrt{a^2 + b^2}}\sin(Bx)\right)[/MATH]​

Now we can call [MATH]\sqrt{a^2 + b^2}[/MATH] "[MATH]A[/MATH]", and suppose that [MATH]\frac{a}{\sqrt{a^2 + b^2}} = \cos(C)[/MATH] and [MATH]\frac{b}{\sqrt{a^2 + b^2}} = \sin(C)[/MATH], and everything will work out.

But do you see that then, [MATH]\tan(C) = \frac{b}{a}[/MATH]?
I will have to go over this post in the morning when my head is screwed back on. But let me me say that I can recall a few weeks ago playing with some of these trig functions and discovering that the phase shift was always a tangent,i.e., the opp over the adjacent--but right now I can't quite remember how I knew what the opp was and what the adjacent was.All I remember is the phase shift was the same as the tangent. The book never mentioned the fact but I found it to be so.

well, it was not stated in the equation on top that C was tanC. Then, in the working out of the problem they introduced C as tanC. Why?
Please state where they introduced C as tanC?

I promise you that they did not do that. if you could please tell me where you think that made this change I will show you what happened. You do remember that they said that a and b are connected by tan(C) = b/a. So then b=a tan(C). Then theny can replace any and all b's with tan(C). This is how tan(C) came into the equation. Never was C replaced with tan(C).

well, it was not stated in the equation on top that C was tanC. Then, in the working out of the problem they introduced C as tanC. Why?
I'm presuming that this is an April Fool's joke, because I know you're more intelligent than this.

No one ever said that "C was tan C"; the number C is not the same as the tangent of C. And the tangent function was not introduced in the solution, but stated in the problem: "where [MATH]\tan C = \frac{b}{a}[/MATH]. That is, part of what you are to prove is that if you define C as an angle whose tangent is b/a, then ...