Which is length and which is width?

Audentes

I chose C on the test, it got marked wrong and the correct answer is supposedly B.

i looked online and some people say width is horizontal (thats what i put) while others say length is the longest side

thanks
flo

Attachments

• 31F36B25-E06C-43A8-980D-C2838A78BB6D.jpeg
    31F36B25-E06C-43A8-980D-C2838A78BB6D.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 15
I chose C on the test, it got marked wrong and the correct answer is supposedly B.

i looked online and some people say width is horizontal (thats what i put) while others say length is the longest side

thanks
flo
I think it's a bad question, assuming you wrote the words "length" and "width" on the picture.

The terms are ambiguous in this setting, where there is good reason to call the horizontal dimension either length or width as drawn. I would tend to choose "length" myself, mostly because when those two words are used together, the length usually means the longer of the two.

I think it's a bad question, assuming you wrote the words "length" and "width" on the picture.
I did
The terms are ambiguous in this setting, where there is good reason to call the horizontal dimension either length or width as drawn. I would tend to choose "length" myself, mostly because when those two words are used together, the length usually means the longer of the two.
ok thank you

It is clearly a silly question. I agree with Dr Peterson (and the examiner) that I would have been inclined to call it length too (but that is only inclination, not mathematics)!
When you talked about horizontal and vertical, you are talking about the rectangle (2D). However they are talking about the 3D box, when it is made.
Then I think you would be inclined to call the longer (horizontal) dimension length and the shorter (horizontal) dimension width.
1619559952576.png

It is clearly a silly question. I agree with Dr Peterson (and the examiner) that I would have been inclined to call it length too (but that is only inclination, not mathematics)!
When you talked about horizontal and vertical, you are talking about the rectangle (2D). However they are talking about the 3D box, when it is made.
Then I think you would be inclined to call the longer (horizontal) dimension length and the shorter (horizontal) dimension width.
View attachment 26781
Thank you!