"Which of the following equations has no solution(s)?"

paris567

Hello, could someone help me with solving this question, i figured and solved all the questions but I'm not sure if I'm 100% right that i know the no solution equations.

my calculations
A. square root of x-3 +5 = 2
2-5
square root of x-3 = -3 (that's as far as i get and than i get no answer)

I believe that A is the only one that has no solution because once you calculate up to \sqrt(x-3)=-3 then i cant get any further and i can't find an answer to the question.
Screen Shot 2021-01-07 at 10.31.15 AM.png

You're right for the first one. The "square root function" gives only positive outputs, so it isn't possible for a square root of anything (in this case sqrt(x-3)) to equal -3 < 0. Look up a graph of the square root function, maybe it will be more clear.
But be careful though, the "sqrt function" only works with non-negative numbers as inputs (what is the square root of -1 ?? doesn't exist in the real numbers) so that means that for example in a) x -3 must be >= 0 (for the square root function to be defined). A good way to check this is either set the restriction at the beginning or when you get a solution plug it back in the equation to see what you will get.

oh sorry, for square root it is defined in my class: "A square root of a number is a value that, when multiplied by itself, gives the number."

oh sorry, for square root it is defined in my class: "A square root of a number is a value that, when multiplied by itself, gives the number."
Negative root "when multiplied by itself" would also give you the number. If negative roots are valid then sqrt(x-3)=-3 has solution(s). So, what does your definition say about negative roots?

I hope that you are wrong about how square root was defined in class. It should be a square root of a number is a non negative value that when multiplied by itself gives the number.

This is correct when you are talking about A square root (either one of two).

I hope that you are wrong about how square root was defined in class. It should be a square root of a number is a non negative value that when multiplied by itself gives the number.
This is correct only if you change "a square root" to "the square root", that is, the symbol [MATH]\sqrt{x}[/MATH].

The square root (radical) is by definition the principal square root, which is the non-negative one.

Now, which one is that equation about? Can the square root there be -3?