Which of the following rules represents a function?

eddy2017

Elite Member
Hi, I am bringing this problem here as fucntions and relations are part of the skills i have to master. I am studyiing the topic.
Let a hint drop asto why I should be focusing on this here excercise

thanks in advance,
eddy

Attachments

• rsz_20220108_111919.jpg
    rsz_20220108_111919.jpg
    626.2 KB · Views: 8
Hi, I am bringing this problem here as fucntions and relations are part of the skills i have to master. I am studyiing the topic.
Let a hint drop asto why I should be focusing on this here excercise

thanks in advance,
eddy
Have you heard of the "Vertical line test?"

-Dan

Have you heard of the "Vertical line test?"

-Dan
yes, the vertical line test is applied to know if the graph is a function or not. if we draw a vertical line and it touches the graph only once then we have a function, if it touches the graph more than once, then we don't a function.

yes, the vertical line test is applied to know if the graph is a function or not. if we draw a vertical line and it touches the graph only once then we have a function, if it touches the graph more than once, then we don't a function.
1641665297847.png

really easy!. eg, the first graph is not function because it does not pass the vertical test, as well as d)

they are!. these graphs are functions because if I draw a vertical line through any part of those graphs it will only cross it on one point. does not touch it twice.
Graph c) again. Post back the graph if possible.

Graph c) again. Post back the graph if possible.
1641666905918.png
If i pass the vertical line thru graph c i see the line only touches the graph only one time. even if i pass the line thru the point (0,0) it touches once. only once. so it is a function
The video is in Spanish. translation: ''how to know if a function is a function or not?''.

OH, You were talking about the answer choice here, right?. i misunderstood you.
what are you talking about?. i don't understand your request. are you talking about the exercise here, or you still talking about the vertical line test?
as to the problem here, i do not know how to connect this knowledge i have about functions and relations with the answer choices. I'm not seeing the connection

what are you talking about?. i don't understand your request. are you talking about the exercise here, or you still talking about the vertical line test?
as to the problem here, i do not know how to connect this knowledge i have about functions and relations with the answer choices. I'm not seeing the connection
There's some miscommunication. You're correct about the vertical line test. Now, graph all of your functions in the OP and see which one pass the vertical line tests.

i know that a "function rule" simply is an equation which defines a function .it describes a functional relationship. in a function every x is assigned a y.