why geometry between alg1 and alg2 ?

goin2ukraine

Why is geometry typically taught between alg 1 and alg 2? It seems a lot of data would be lost and have to be retaught. I am a homeschool mom, my son just finished alg 1, and I am trying to figure out what to do next. I was going to have him do Jacobs Geometry but there isnt a detailed answer key which I think I need (after this last year with Jacobs Alg). Any suggestions?

google search unproductive

Thank you for your suggestion of a google search. I had tried that before. I looked again- read many varied opinions. Doesn't seem to be much consensus out there as to why the order of math courses.

Re: google search unproductive

goin2ukraine said:
Thank you for your suggestion of a google search.
Um... the tutor did not suggest a search; he provided a link to a particular site.

goin2ukraine said:
Doesn't seem to be much consensus out there as to why the order of math courses.
The order will frequently depend upon the curriculum chosen, the school using it, and/or the country in which the school is located. I am not aware of any "rule" dictating the order in which these topics "must" be studied.

To "figure out what to do next", you might want to consult with the curriculum publisher, as the publisher would likely have a particular expected order for the use of its books.

Eliz.

um...initially it was a google search link. Don't know what happened. I am very familiar with videotext interactive. It is one of the curricula I am considering. Unfortunately, it is very pricey too. They advocate Alg 1 and 2 together, then geometry after. I realize that each curriculum provider has their own scope and sequence. What I was wondering is if there is a perspective on the best order for teaching algebra 1, 2, geometry... where it will be the most beneficial, that is based on personal experience... from teaching or tutoring...

I've taught in school systems which followed the Alg. 1, Geom, Alg. 2 route, and others which used the Alg. 1, Alg. 2, Geom. order as well.

I think that presenting geometry between algebra 1 and algebra 2 probably goes back to the "old days" where just two years of math was the "norm" for even college-bound students. (I'm talking the 50's here, folks!) Those students who were really "serious" about math would then follow geometry with algebra 2. And this sequence just stuck, though it really makes more sense from a continuity standpoint to do the two years of algebra in sequence. There certainly is more review required to bring an algebra 2 class "up to speed" if the students haven't done all that much algebra for a year.....

In addition, I think it is beneficial for lots of students to acquire a bit more mathematical "maturity" before tackling geometry, which requires a different type of thinking. I know, I know.....many students are capable of handling geometry at the 9th or 10th grade level, but some definitely aren't. Since you are home-schooling, you know more about your child's mathematical maturity than we do, and you also know how much math you plan to present to your child. If you definitely plan for three or more years of secondary math, I don't think you would go wrong to complete the two years of algebra first (in fact, I've recommended this to several of my home-schooling friends).