Why Is This Math Joke Funny?

tho2toe

I know this is an unusual request but I just wanted to know why this shirt is funny.

I know it has to do with u-substitution but can't you use u-substitution to solve for the integral of e^x? If that is true, the joke doesn't make sense then. I am probably missing something so can somebody please clarify it for me. Thanks.

When Leibniz was developing his calculus, the integral sign started out as an enlongated "S".

Yeah I get that part but why would it say "it was so wrong" because it is right. You would use u-substitution to solve that integral wouldn't you? So the joke would only make sense if you couldn't use u-substitution.

tho2toe said:
Yeah I get that part but why would it say "it was so wrong" because it is right. You would use u-substitution to solve that integral wouldn't you? So the joke would only make sense if you couldn't use u-substitution.

it was wrong to use "u" for sex.

Off topic: I am being forced to read an early 'modern' london text and in some cases an s in the middle of their words is an \(\displaystyle \int\). I just now looked up Leibniz and found he was born in the time these texts were written (c. 1600s around the year of the great fire of London) and that he frequented London during these times. I wonder if this had anything to do with his choice in notation? Pretty cool stuff.

It has nothing to do with math. It is just lewd.

It is neither funny nor a joke. It is just crude.

Sadly, we live in an age where lewd and crude OFTEN are mistaken for funny or comedic. It is a sad, sad state of affairs.

Don't buy the shirt. Don't laugh at the shirt. Decrease your esteem for whomever it is who is selling it or wearing it.

My views. I welcome others'.

:shock:

well ... don't sugar-coat it, tell us how you really feel.

tkhunny said:
It has nothing to do with math. It is just lewd.

It is neither funny nor a joke. It is just crude.

You were a poet and didn't even know it :D

I'll work on the haiku version. Maybe it will be more clear? :)