Why isn’t this considered a critical point?

The Velociraptors

46986252-1443-4F69-B63A-A12AA46A924E.jpegWhy aren’t x=2 and x=-2 critical values? I thought critical values are where the slope=0 or is undefined. So according to the answer key, why aren’t the points circled in green critical points, and why is x=3 a critical point (according to the answer key)? When are x-intercepts critical points? Any additional reading would also help. Thank you.

critical values of a function, f(x), are those values of x where f’(x) = 0 or is undefined

NOTE that the graphs are derivatives of f, not f(x).

View attachment 34623Why aren’t x=2 and x=-2 critical values? I thought critical values are where the slope=0 or is undefined. So according to the answer key, why aren’t the points circled in green critical points, and why is x=3 a critical point (according to the answer key)? When are x-intercepts critical points? Any additional reading would also help. Thank you.
In case you don't see it, note the yellow highlights:

1670892604012.png

I've seen problems like this before; you have to read very carefully and make no assumptions based on appearances!

They want critical values for f, not for the graph you see; so you want to find where the graph, f'(x), is zero.

In part b, they don't label the vertical axis, so it's even more subtle.

You are correct when you think that x=2 and x=-2 critical values. The only problem is that they are critical points of f'(x) and you are being asked for the critical points of f(x).

You are correct when you think that x=2 and x=-2 [are] critical values. The only problem is that they are critical points of f'(x) and you are being asked for the critical points of f(x).
Actually, not quite! As I read the graph, those are both a little off (and even the intercept at -4 is not exact:

1670892604012-png.34624

1670899279538.png

But of course that doesn't really matter (apart from the inaccuracy at -4, which we are probably supposed to ignore anyway).

1670899557472.png