Why isn't the integral of the sum of this two functions the same as sum of the integrals of the two functions?

nombreuso

While trying to solve the indefinite integral of (x+1)/((x^2 + 1)^2), I end up having to solve the integral of arctan(x) + x/(x^2 + 1)
I rewrite this as the sum ot two integrals, and since the integral of arctan(x) = x*arctan(x) - integral of x/(x^2 + 1), the integral of arctan(x) + x/(x^2 + 1) = x*arctan(x)
The calculator ends up with the answer x*arctan(x) + (x^2)/(x^2 +1) + 1/(x^2 + 1) by integration by parts, which in geogebra looks like the same answer differing by a constant. However, this difference causes me to end up with an entirely different answer for the main integral to the one in the calculator, which is the same as the solution on the answer sheet. All my other steps are the same as the ones in the calculator. Why does it make such a differnce? How can I know which way will lead me to the correct answer?

You should have +c at the end of an indefinite integral. These c's may differ by a constant, depending on how you do the integration.
In the end, I found that the difference between the two final answers was still just a constant. I somehow thought i wasn't.