Word problem: A cylinder has the same radius as that of a sphere, which is R cm.

BanaMath

A cylinder has the same radius as that of a sphere, which is R cm.
The sim of the volume of th cylinder and the volume of the sphere is 9πR^3 cm^3.
How many times greater is the height of the cylinder than its radius?

I know I've gone wrong somewhere haha..

Attachments

• IMG_0391.JPG
    IMG_0391.JPG
    13.3 KB · Views: 7
The sum of the volume of the cylinder and the volume of the sphere is 9πR^3 cm^3.

The image is too small to read well, even after enlarging:

1694479557790.png

It's hard to follow your work, and there seems to be a typo or two along the way. But it looks like you got h = 23R/3. Why do you think that's wrong?

The sim of the volume of th cylinder and the volume of the sphere is 9πR^3 cm^3.

Please post a higher resolution image - can't read anything.

The image is too small to read well, even after enlarging:

It's hard to follow your work, and there seems to be a typo or two along the way. But it looks like you got h = 23R/3. Why do you think that's wrong?
I mean I don't know how to go on to solve the rest of the equation. It asks for How many times greater is the height of the cylinder than its radius?

Hopefully this photo is better

Attachments

• IMG_0394.JPG
    IMG_0394.JPG
    13.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0395.JPG
    IMG_0395.JPG
    14.8 KB · Views: 7
I mean I don't know how to go on to solve the rest of the equation. It asks for How many times greater is the height of the cylinder than its radius?
If you have quantities A and B, how do you determine how many times one is greater than the other?

You need to figure it out yourself. Just take two numbers and figure out how many one number is greater than the other.
Try 5 and 10. Clearly 10 is 2 times as large as 5. Now, how do you get 2 from 5 and 10?

You need to figure it out yourself. Just take two numbers and figure out how many one number is greater than the other.
Try 5 and 10. Clearly 10 is 2 times as large as 5. Now, how do you get 2 from 5 and 10?
The ratio between 5:10 is 1:2, you just simplify. So you do that for equations too, thanks!

So is my working out correct so far though?

Attachments

• IMG_0396.JPG
    IMG_0396.JPG
    12.7 KB · Views: 2
You found, correctly, that H = 23R/3. That means H is 23/3 times R. That answers the question, unless you want to write it as a mixed number or decimal. There's no trick to this (that I know of), so I'm not sure why people are making it sound hard. (You did the hard part.)

There's also the little issue that to some people, "5 times greater" means 6 times as much (that is, 5 times as much, added to the original amount), while to others it means 5 times as much. I'd ignore that issue unless somebody mentioned it.

You found, correctly, that H = 23R/3. That means H is 23/3 times R. That answers the question, unless you want to write it as a mixed number or decimal. There's no trick to this (that I know of), so I'm not sure why people are making it sound hard. (You did the hard part.)

There's also the little issue that to some people, "5 times greater" means 6 times as much (that is, 5 times as much, added to the original amount), while to others it means 5 times as much. I'd ignore that issue unless somebody mentioned it.
Oh ok, thanks!

For the record, @lev888 is right when he said to compare the quantities. Personally, when I want to find out how many times larger 10 is than 5 I compare the numbers by dividing them.