Word Problem: Find total wt if there are 24 fewer 2-lb boxes

novakidd63

Find the total weight ofboxes of pecans in a shipment of 3lb. boxes of pecans and 2lb. boxes ofwalnuts. [1] There were 24 fewer 2lb. boxes of walnuts than 3lb. boxes of pecans. [2] The total weight of the shipment was 462lbs.

I have been on this for an hour with my son! Could someone show me how to figure this out?Thankyou so much!!! :( :cry: :x

novakidd63 said:
I have been on this for an hour with my son!
Tutoring works best when the tutors work directly with the student. (Trying to "talk" through a "translator" who doesn't "speak the language" usually ends badly, I'm afraid.)

Please have your son reply (or dictate a reply) showing what he has tried so far. At the very least, we should be able to see what method(s) he's using for setting this up. (For instance, the method that my eleven-year-old would use is quite different from what a student working with systems of equations would use!)

Thank you! :D

Eliz.

p = pecan boxes; then walnut boxes = p - 24 : ok?

SO: 3p + 2(p - 24) = 462

Ya'll ok now :?:

stapel said:
Please have your son reply (or dictate a reply) showing what he has tried so far. At the very least, we should be able to see what method(s) he's using for setting this up.
Ive been trying to figure out using the way my teacher showed us by doing an equation but ive been trying such as like 2x X 24-x= 462 Lbs but it came out wrong and trying to do 3x+2(24-x)=462 and still got it wrong i dont know how to figure out the equation for this problem but then i just did simple math in my hea guessing 243 then subtrated 24 from it to get 219 then added 219+243 to get 462 but the way the problem is worded i couldn't figure out the eqaution and still can not figure it out.

novakidd63 said:
ive been trying such as like 2x X 24-x= 462 Lbs but it came out wrong....
How did you define "x"? For what does "x" stand?

How did you create your equations? What was your reasoning?

Please be complete. Thank you! :D

Eliz.

Arithmetic method: How much did the extra twenty-four boxes of pecans weigh? Setting those boxes aside, how much weight is left? How much does each pecan-walnut box pair weigh? How many pairs does it take to account for the remaining weight? So how many boxes of walnuts are there? Adding those twenty-four boxes back in, how many boxes of pecans are there? How much does each weigh? So what is the total weight?

Denis said:

That equation is still wrong i came up with 97.2 after using the equation there should be no decimals in this problem because there were 24 fewer Lbs of walnuts then pecans plus the number isnt high enough so when i subtract 24 from it it equals 462 Lbs

stapel said:
novakidd63 said:
ive been trying such as like 2x X 24-x= 462 Lbs but it came out wrong....
How did you define "x"? For what does "x" stand?

How did you create your equations? What was your reasoning?

Please be complete. Thank you! :D

Eliz.

Arithmetic method: How much did the extra twenty-four boxes of pecans weigh? Setting those boxes aside, how much weight is left? How much does each pecan-walnut box pair weigh? How many pairs does it take to account for the remaining weight? So how many boxes of walnuts are there? Adding those twenty-four boxes back in, how many boxes of pecans are there? How much does each weigh? So what is the total weight?

X in this problem is the missing number for number of boxes for pecans or in my terms im trying to find the number or boxes for pecans im just really stuck on making it an eqaution so it makes sense i figured using basic math its 243 Pecans and 219 walnuts its just putting it into an equation so the answer comes out as 243 and so i can subtract 24 from it to get 219 for the walunts

stapel said:
48lbs 414 5 82 106 212???

stapel said:
72 390 5 78 306 This is not a differance of 48lbs.???????

novakidd63 said:
Denis said:

That equation is still wrong i came up with 97.2 after using the equation there should be no decimals in this problem because there were 24 fewer Lbs of walnuts then pecans plus the number isnt high enough so when i subtract 24 from it it equals

462 Lbs
no? How does this work out?

I'm sorry, but I can't make heads or tails of your string-of-numbers posts...? Please reply using complete sentences and showing your work and reasoning clearly, as I and the other tutor have done.

Thank you! :D

Eliz.

novakidd63 said:
Denis said:
That equation is still wrong i came up with 97.2 after using the equation there should be no decimals in this problem because there were 24 fewer Lbs of walnuts then pecans plus the number isnt high enough so when i subtract 24 from it it equals 462 Lbs
What is it you're doing anyway?
Just so you stop your unclear posts, here's HOW:

3p + 2(p - 24) = 462 : sorry, but it's not wrong
3p + 2p - 48 = 462
5p = 510
p = 102 : so that's 102 pecans, and walnuts = 102 - 24 = 78

pecans weigh 3 lb: 102 * 3 = 306
walnuts weigh 2 lb: 78 * 2 = 156
306 + 156 = 462
Roger, over and out.