Word problem/ how to set-up

Zeanah

Help setting up this word problem please?

The baseline is 21204000s. Every person has this every year. 16 * 365 *60 * 60.

There are four people all making different amounts.And by nature what they do requires a certain amount of into, in time units.

That time is paid in pennies per second to them by an employer.

This leaves each person with a different finite amount of maximum time that they will have that is considered free time or time with which they can choose to do whatever they want to .
18k 8hrs
30k 8hrs
60k 5 hrs
1000k 16*.1 hrs

There is an equation here with which given the right solution the guy making the lowest amount would need to employee his own free time to generate X rate of pennies per second. (In order to match the highest rate, which I am setting at 1m/yr.p

How do I find that rate in pennies per second? I’m trying to program this and it seems like the best way to go about it, bu getting lowest possible metrics.

Not only do I not know how to set this problem up, I feel like there are other operations I could do to derived even more detail/ compare in a different way.

Part 2:

guy #3 Has less time to utilize but gets paid a higher the base rate.

Ex. 18k/yr salary with 8hrs/day FT vs 30k and 5 hr/day FT. Or 30k at 8 hrs FT, and 60k at 5 hrs FT

I feel like this is some kind of function I am trying to derive?

how does this fit into the model and how can I determine if it’s better to have the free time and not get paid the base rate, or have less time but make that base rate…

Which is not a set in stone number, but rather relative.

Like: is 12k more than 18k worth the extra 3 hours/day at whatever rate .

The baseline is 21204000s. Every person has this every year. 16 * 365 *60 * 60.
Hi Zeanah. There's a typo; that product is 21024000. Your baseline appears to be the number of seconds in a non-leap year, considering 16-hour days, seven days a week, yes? It's the baseline for what?

There are four people all making different amounts.And by nature what they do requires a certain amount of into, in time units.
Is this what you're saying: Four people each make a different amount of money, and that requires each of them to work a certain amount of seconds.

each person [has] a different [amount of time] that is considered free time…
18k 8hrs
30k 8hrs
60k 5 hrs
1000k 16*.1 hrs
Please explain the relationships above. For example: 18000 and 8hrs. What is the meaning of this data?

Also, does 16*.1 hrs mean 1.6 hrs?

the guy making the lowest amount would need to [employ some of] his own free time to generate [a rate of] X pennies per second. (In order to match the highest rate, which I am setting at 1m/yr.p
Please explain rate X. Is that the employer's pay rate? In other words, each guy earns a different number of pennies for each second worked. The guy making the most money earns what you've called "the highest rate", which you've defined as 1m/yr.p – is that correct? Or, is X the same pay rate for all, and they make different amounts of money because they work different amounts of time?

Please define symbols m and p. Does the dot in yr.p signify a product (years × p)?

I have a vague notion of what you're trying to do (determine how much free time the lowest earner must spend working to match what the highest earner received), yet details seem fuzzy or missing. A simplified example would help greatly, using two people and explaining the scenario with a complete list of steps/calculations and actual numbers.

I have not looked at Part 2, yet. Cheers :)

[imath]\;[/imath]

Hi Zeanah. There's a typo; that product is 21024000. Your baseline appears to be the number of seconds in a non-leap year, considering 16-hour days, seven days a week, yes? It's the baseline for what?

Is this what you're saying: Four people each make a different amount of money, and that requires each of them to work a certain amount of seconds.

Please explain the relationships above. For example: 18000 and 8hrs. What is the meaning of this data?

Please explain rate X. Is that the employer's pay rate? In other words, each guy earns a different number of pennies for each second worked. The guy making the most money earns what you've called "the highest rate", which you've defined as 1m/yr.p – is that correct? Or, is X the same pay rate for all, and they make different amounts of money because they work different amounts of time?

Please define symbols m and p. Does the dot in yr.p signify a product (years × p)?

I have a vague notion of what you're trying to do (determine how much free time the lowest earner must spend working to match what the highest earner received), yet details seem fuzzy or missing. A simplified example would help greatly, using two people and explaining the scenario with a complete list of steps/calculations and actual numbers.

[imath]\;[/imath]

Otis, thank you for responding, and remaining patient with me through my original post ? it was at the end of a long day of racking my brain.

I think your guess is close, but I will be more specific and clarify some things I am trying to code.

Imagine I find a microwave in a garbage can. I film myself disassembling the whole thing, and determine from first contact to last, it takes me exactly 30 minutes.

I estimate the value of the different components obtained: transformer, sheet metal, circuit board components etc... at the rate of 15 dollars per hour ( because I will use that as my rate, being a mid level worker), it is costing me 7.5 dollars to harvest that set of components.

ULTIMATELY, I want to classify certain tasks such as this, as either "beats the standard" value. E.i its worth the time to do, or not so worth the time to do. Ofcourse, something worth doing for a minimum wage earner is drastically different from a 1m/year earner. This is hopefully presented as a function or equation somehow, containing specific metrics, and not just a boolean, is or isn't. I can tell from general metrics the sheet metal i obtained alone is worth the $7.5 in time I spent for it in labor.

So,

I have set the earnings of 4 ppl year, given them a cap of the same amount of time per year (16 hours * 365 days * 60 minutes * 60 seconds )

Within this amount of time, a fixed number exist and is mandatorily required due to responsibility of job, excluding the 1m/yr earner. I am figuring him as self employed, but choosing to work 90% of his total POSSIBLE time allowed to work.

The 4 guys as follows

18000 per year, and uses 8/16 hours per day manditorily at the rate of his jobs earning per hour.

30000 per year, and uses 8/16 hours per day at the rate of his job earning per hour(8 hours a day for 30k per year, same setup as above)

Guy 3, is 60,000 per year, but follows a different scheme. He makes the same equivalent rate as guy #2, BUT being 'military' requires a normal workday plus 3 hours of logistical bs tacked on as a consequence. The extra 30k is from his 'housing allowance pay, but nonetheless should be counted for as a part of his yearly earning in monetary units.

Guy 4 is 1m/year earning, but that output of wealth generation requires a full plate. 16*.1 is to calculate how much of each day he is taking as not-employed-in work-action.

Now, by converting all of that data into a rate of valueoutput/second, I am hoping to be able to acount of their actual cash earning, as well as the time spent/earnings, and I'm thinking this makes it easier to compare the totality of each situation, and account for both expenditures of time and money. In my head, they are translatable. Time is money, money is time. But, that number is different depending on the person.

This gives each person an alotted window of time, with which *they may or may not choose to employ themselves in work*

Now, within this window each person will do certain random tasks, and time them, along with estimate/account for the value generated.

I want to be able to define a task, and give it a value that is describing its worth of doing while accounting for the time of doing such task.

If dissecting a microwave takes 30 minutes and gives me an estimated value of 20$ total, I want to compare that rate of wealth generation with that of the millionaires rate of generation.

Eventually, the program should determine what tasks are generating each individual their maximum rate of wealth generation, and seek to maximize the frequency at which they do it, by.

For example, What should a task's rate be for someone earning $18000 a year, in order to equal the millionaires rate, despite the fact they both have separate time requirements. ( 18000/yr guy has 8 hours/day to employ his time in some task that has a rate of x/s , to obtain the same equivalent "efficiency" rate that the million/yr guy is generating.

I know I just exploded information, and I'm sorry. Hopefully it takes you shorter to understand than it did for me to write ? thank you for any help you may give/the consideration

Hi Zeanah. There's a typo; that product is 21024000. Your baseline appears to be the number of seconds in a non-leap year, considering 16-hour days, every day of each week, yes? It's the baseline for what?

[imath]\;[/imath]

....Guy 3, is 60,000 per year, but follows a different scheme. He makes the same equivalent rate as guy #2, BUT being 'military' requires a normal workday plus 3 hours of logistical bs tacked on as a consequence. The extra 30k is from his 'housing allowance pay, but nonetheless should be counted for as a part of his yearly earning in monetary units....

At this point, guy 3 obviously is doing better than guy 2, but how can I explain that mathematically, as there could be a case where it is not so obvious. Its only obvious because it is double the worth for 3 hours extra a day. but if it took 9 hours a day extra to achieve twice of what 8 hours got, it would not be better, because the rate of guy 2 is already beating that. The earned money is lower yes, but accounting for time also, changes this.That range of time, from 3-9 hours, is some function? Or a solution of a function?

Guy 4 is 1m/year earning, but that output of wealth generation requires a full plate. 16*.1 is to calculate how much of each day he is taking as not-employed-in work-action.
In one year, a person gets so much cash and so much free time. If that person employs himself using his own free time in a task that doesn't match his current employers rate of value generation, that guy could be considered ultimately as wasting his time.

I want to be able to say: guy #3 needs to earn 74 pennies/second , in total y1 seconds, to match the value rate of the top guy, who is generating 34 pennies/second, in y2 seconds.

With y2 being larger than y1, which explains the larger difference of 74 pennies per second compared to 34 pennies per second.

Man, do I hope this makes sense!

Last edited:
Posted once, but Example is drastically updated, with sample numbers, and clear questions on specific calculations.

Attachments

• Time-Math.pdf
    81.1 KB · Views: 3
Hi Zeanah. Thanks for posting the additional information, but the scenario still seems too subjective for me.

I want to classify certain tasks such as … worth the time to do, or not …

something worth doing for a minimum wage earner is drastically different from a [$1million/year] earner
Are you thinking that higher-wage earners' free time is more valuable than free time of lower-wage earners? That's not true (in real life) because values exist from life beyond simply earning money. You also seem to have everyone working for their employer seven days a week, which is also unrealistic.

Does this project have to do with creating a video game, where the winning goal is to collect the most money from every non-sleeping second available in a virtual "life"?

[Guy1 earns $18000] per year, and uses [8 out of 16] hours per day [working] at [his job].
Guy 3, is 60,000 per year, but follows a different scheme. He makes the same equivalent rate as guy #2, BUT being 'military' requires a normal workday plus 3 hours of logistical bs tacked on as a consequence. The extra 30k is from his 'housing allowance pay, but nonetheless should be counted for as a part of his yearly earning in monetary units.
Eventually, the program should determine what tasks are generating each individual their maximum rate of wealth generation, and seek to maximize the frequency at which they do it, by.
In your op, you implied that this scenario can be condensed into an equation. I don't think so. What seems more likely is that you'll need to code an algorithm to extract intermediate results from a number of equations (i.e., relationships between constants, variables, parameters) and then assemble final results from that.

In your latest attachment, the first chart shows this information:
Guy1: $18,000 Salary (from working 10,512,000 seconds/year)

Cents/second: .2604
How did you determine 0.2604 cents per second?

When I divide $18000 by 10512000 seconds, the result is about $0.001712 per second. Converting that rate from dollars-per-second to cents-per-second yields 0.1712, not 0.2604. Underneath that chart, you then state 5.2851 cents/second for Guy1.

I've "spent" about 5,400 seconds of my free time so far struggling to parse your presentations, and it doesn't bother me at all that I've gained zero pennies per second for that "investment", heh. Yet, I think I'm done here.

I'll leave you with this example:

Guy1: $18,000 annually from employment (8 hours per day, seven days a week)
Spends 6 hours of free time every day on hobbies, earning X dollars per hour

Guy4: $1,000,000 annually from employment (14.4 hours per day, seven days a week)
Spends 0 hours of free time every day on hobbies, earning nothing.

Determine rate X such that Guy1's total income matches Guy4's total income.

18000 + (6)(365)(X) = 1000000
18000 + 2190X = 1000000

Solve for X

(1) Subtract 18000 from both sides
(2) Divide both sides by 2190

X = (1000000 - 18000) / 2190
X = $448.401826 per hour (rounded)

In other words, Guy1 would need to earn about 12.45561 pennies per second from working on hobbies 6 hours every day, in order for his total annual income to match Guy4's $1,000,000.

CHECK: Hobby income for Guy1

12.45561 cents/second × 60 second/minute × 60 minute/hour × 6 hour/day × 365 day = 98,200,029 cents per year

98200029 cents = 982000.29 dollars

$982,000.29 + $18,000 = $1,000,000.29

The extra 29 cents comes from rounding X to only five decimal places. If we were to retain additional decimal digits, that error would disappear. Cheers!

:)

[imath]\;[/imath]

I've posted a picture that I Explained to another guy on another board. The calculation is not so much about trying to get the highest rate of return by squeezing every second out of a year. I think its vastly opposite.

I just needed those calculations, So that I can do a different calculation:

Guys1 rate falls between .17 cents/second and 12.4 cents/per second

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220516-190720_Kiwi Browser.jpg
    Screenshot_20220516-190720_Kiwi Browser.jpg
    734.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Hi Zeanah. Thanks for posting the additional information, but the scenario still seems too subjective for me.

Are you thinking that higher-wage earners' free time is more valuable than free time of lower-wage earners? That's not true (in real life) because values exist from life beyond simply earning money. You also seem to have everyone working for their employer seven days a week, which is also unrealistic.

Does this project have to do with creating a video game, where the winning goal is to collect the most money from every non-sleeping second available in a virtual "life"?

In your op, you implied that this scenario can be condensed into an equation. I don't think so. What seems more likely is that you'll need to code an algorithm to extract intermediate results from a number of equations (i.e., relationships between constants, variables, parameters) and then assemble final results from that.

In your latest attachment, the first chart shows this information:

How did you determine 0.2604 cents per second?

When I divide $18000 by 10512000 seconds, the result is about $0.001712 per second. Converting that rate from dollars-per-second to cents-per-second yields 0.1712, not 0.2604. Underneath that chart, you then state 5.2851 cents/second for Guy1.

I've "spent" about 5,400 seconds of my free time so far struggling to parse your presentations, and it doesn't bother me at all that I've gained zero pennies per second for that "investment", heh. Yet, I think I'm done here.

I'll leave you with this example:

Guy4: $1,000,000 annually from employment (14.4 hours per day, seven days a week)

18000 + 2190X = 1000000

Solve for X

In other words, Guy1 would need to earn about 12.45561 pennies per second from working on hobbies 6 hours every day, in order for his total annual income to match Guy4's $1,000,000.

12.45561 cents/second × 60 second/minute × 60 minute/hour × 6 hour/day × 365 day = 98,200,029 cents per year

The extra 29 cents comes from rounding X to only five decimal places. If we were to retain additional decimal digits, that error would disappear. Cheers!

:)

[imath]\;[/imath]
Thank you so Much for your example. I know it is elementary math but It's been years for me ?

Unfortunately, this brings a whole another level of calculations that I need to do..

Because I am. Making $20 for 30 minutes of time., Minus what I sold that time for.(.17/second)

I’ve calculated that task to have an output value of 16.94, for 30 minutes of time.

This brings my per second rate to .40 cents per second. Double and then some of what I sold my time for.

Now the real reason behind all of this. Is to be able to calculate the effect,That a Manual tool versus an upgraded tool brings.

For example, in my test run, I unscrewed 15 screws in in 92 seconds. There being 75 screws total

Using a power drill, I unscrewed 15 screws in 60 seconds. Being 75 screws total.

Because there were a total of 75 screws in the microwave., I will Times by 5( 92x(.17)-60(.17))

This gives 27.2 cents saved per instance of the task to purchase the drill.

The power drill is. 33%. More effective than manually, and cost $75.00.

75.00/27.2= 277.77 times to do that task to break even for the purchase.

277.77x92(5)= 127774 total seconds to accomplish manually

277.77x60(5)=83331 total seconds to accomplish using drill

12,7774-83331=44,443 seconds saved, over instance of 278 dissassemblies, from the purchase of a drill.

Sorry for the lengthy setup... really just looking for insight as to my methodology of arriving at a solution/ any critiques. It has been 10 or so years since my last math class :s

Attachments

• FULLMATH.pdf
    728.7 KB · Views: 10
Just to let you know, many of the helpers here will not open up the pdf which you attached.

Just to let you know, many of the helpers here will not open up the pdf which you attached.
Thanks for letting me know, I didn't realize! Is there a preferred form? I know it probably says somewhere, or atleast I will also look. I will post below:

I pose the question in multiple ways, because I have tried numerous times to explain the setup of the problem/my question, but have yet to pose it effectively. Its a shorter grasp than it looks, i promise!

the first block is the gist:
The last block of info is my attempt and logic : the full scope of how I can explain the scenario.
The blocks above that are my attempt to shorthand the quesstions:

determined by current job ( min wage @ 8.00 units/hr): paid rate for 30 minutes : 400 pennies / 1800 seconds == .22 pennies/sec.
determined by a task's rate of outcome/time : Self paid rate for 30 minutes : 2000 pennies / 1800 seconds == 1.11 pennies / sec.

in theory, I am trying to both RANK a task, and also decide how different tools can essentially alter that rank. By "normalizing" the task, the rank should apply to tasks which take different amounts of time and outcomes, but nevertheless boil down to a x cents/second rate.

Am I correct in saying that the ratio is not 1 / 5 , but rather, I should 1.11 c/s - .22 c/s, for an ACTUAL ratio of .89c/s / .22c/s.
How do i express the rate of the task that I did, as compared to the ‘baseline’ minimum wage task? Is it fair to say the task is (.9/.2), or 4.5 greater than the baseline? if thats so, imagine the below scenario. How do i use that number (4.5) to compare it to guy 1/guy 2 in the reference1 block.
;================================================================
below solution in reference1 is that guy 1 needs a rate of 12.5 cents/sec to catch guy2. how does the task I did rank compared?

since my task rate is 1.10 c/s and i needed 12.5 c/s AVERAGE to reach my yearly goal, ranking a task is as simple as 1.1/12.5?
in this context, this task could be given a single number score of .08 , and this number is effective at communicating the relative worth of task as I do more and more experiments and gain more and more data on different task’s, etc?

whatever my task ranks as compared to the max or minimum, I want to use that number to quantify what is saved by upgrading from the standard method to a tool that makes the task faster. for ex.

if originally the rate is 1.10 cents/s , and a drill accomplishes the task in 80 seconds, compared to 120 secondsvia screwdriver manually, a drill applies a multiplier of ⅔, or .66 as compared to the 'baseline'…. 1.10 * .66 + 1.10 = 1.826 c/s

is it fair to say that a drill will result in 1.826 c/s /1.10 c/s?
if i translate this its 1.66.
therefore, if the baseline "rank" is .08, then the addition of a drill that increases efficiency by a factor of .33, or .66 % LESS TIME, or 1/3 (not entirely sure of the format to use) then:
.08 x 1.166 + .08, or Y = (Y x 1.66) + Y ==
0.1328 + .08
.2128 << the new "score"

reference 1:

18000 + 2190X = 1000000
Solve for X

The extra 29 cents comes from rounding X to only six decimal places. If we were to retain additional decimal digits, that error would disappear. Cheers!

purpose / setup of problem & my best attempt:

If a task is effective, we sell our time for the upper max, buy it back low as possible as lower max (introduced through the gain of value of doing a particular task), and now we have a data point to justify increasing our worth per second rate.
in the example that I tried, the total time took 30 minutes, for $20 return. thats easy enough to calculate.

However, I purposefully took out the outer 15 screws, 3 different times, using 3 different ‘level of tools.’ i.e. a manual screwdriver, an electric screwdriver, and a power drill/driver - to glean information as it would relate to someone doing it from a beginner level / an experiment that helps put the task into a “global” perspective.

From the experiment:
for me : total time 1800 seconds, $20 gain
15 screws by screwdriver took 120 seconds
15 screws by electric driver took 90 seconds.
15 screws by powerdrill took 80 seconds

Although various factors are the cause of the eventual time requirements of the task, I would like to use my experimental value of $20/1800seconds, and for the sake of the argument (math) use those figures as if it were done by the power drill alone, which is a 2 / 3 “multiplier” as compared to the screwdriver method, or .66 times faster. and then use the $20/1800 figure as if it were done by the screwdriver method.

Because I have decided to get 2 different data points on 2 different tools/methods, I can now form a framework of how the tools, and ultimately the efficiency increase they bring, compare to one another, and also the actual value that the efficiency brings.

i.e. I am reasonably-and-justifyably able to attribute a “stat” to the tools, as they relate to one another, in the scope of a specific task. consider the below example :

If you were to do the same task, using a screwdriver, you can know:
$20/1800 will earn rate of 1.1 pennies/second

same task with a power drill, you can know:
if you have a drill : $20/ 1188 (1800 x .66) = 1.7 pennies/second

therefore, I can conclude :
Every second that I am using a power drill, it is netting me .6 pennies/second — and this applies to all tasks outside the scope of where I ran my initial experiment (taking apart the toaster oven)

This allows me to repeat the experiment again and again, and by using the same math, develop an average of the results, making the accuracy of the comparison greater over time. and by doing this, I reasonably-and-justifiably give “stats” to specific tools based on how they are comparing to their alternatives.

Now, the Second Time i do the task, lets say I have a drill, and previously didnt:

i am using .22 pennies/sec in the value of my time, as corroborated by my employers rate of pay, THEN yielding a result of 1.1 pennies/second for 1800 seconds, (the same rate as before, only using a drill this time, and something else occurred that made it take JUST AS LONG, but nevertheless , I will apply the “multiplier” of the drill )

I need to apply the drill “multiplier” in the form of .6 pennies/second , im assuming, as opposed to simply taking the first time (1800) and multiplying by ( .66 ) as i showed in the first time when deriving the figure.

because ULTIMATELY i DID take actual 1800 seconds to do it. and the reason that is super significant is because that 1800 of actual time needs to be used in the accountance, because again ULTIMATELY, it serves as a concrete and static
fraction of my available FREE-TIME.

1800 / 10,512,000 == 1 / 5840

5840 instances of gaining a rate of .9 pennies / second for 1800 seconds (accounting for input time? .22 ₵/sec)

If I did the task 5840 physical times in a year using the first method to calculate:
screwdriver : “add” amount of time since 1.1 rate was rate from using a drill… “adding” the multiplier to the number 1800 (this is a simulated result using a lesser tool than originally used)

1800 - 1188 = 612 seconds to add that which would have been reduced if used drill.
5840 instances of gaining a rate of 1.1 pennies / second for 1800 1188
$76,317

drill:eek:riginal results
5840 instances of gaining a rate of 1.1 pennies / second for 1800 seconds
$115,632

if I did the task 5840 times in a year using the second method to calculate:
screwdriver : taking away .6 ₵/sec as opposed to adding to the “time” number
5840 instances of gaining a rate of 1.1 pennies / second for 1800 seconds
$115,632

drill: effecting the rate of gain using the drills “multiplier” as .6 ₵/sec as opposed to .66 applied to only the time number
5840 instances of gaining a rate of 1.7 pennies / second for 1800 seconds

My Question is in 3 parts:
1. am I right that I should use the 2nd method of calculation, as the first was only necessary to serve as a starting point, and
2. Since with each completion of a task that is over my current baseline rate of .22 pennies/second, that number that is “worth-per-second” should hypothetically rise,
because why would i STILL use my time at a calculated worth of .22 pennies / second after having just establishing a tremendous pattern of using my time to gain 1.1 pennies/second?? I should be averaging each result of every task as to effect the input parameter of “worth-per-second” of the subsequent task. HOW do I do it in this context. How does that change for someone who has a lesser number of FREE TIME than the 10,512,000 that I have, since all of the above is contingent on the idea that the task i did was 1/5840 of available time. e.i.

How does it change the math if someone wanted to repeat the process for another set of tools, using a 1800 second task, but having half of that available time, because generally, as time becomes lesser and lesser, in theory the rate should go up as a result. at face value, this is relative and different between person to person, how much there final seconds are worth. EXCEPT this question is posed from the standpoint that only so many slots are left to be filled in their schedule, and there goal to reach necessarily being a set rate (way higher than such task will provide if chosen to engage in), should dictate the persons justification/ set an environmental “factor” that raises the buy AND sell price of their time.

Now, by having done all this, I should be able to rank different tasks based on their average time/output ratio since the tasks have been “standardized” or “normalized” so to speak.. not sure if that is the correct definition.